mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals

I'm a long time user of the older ATAC XS pedals.
    How are the new pedals working and holding up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I put 1000 miles on mine last year, Racing/riding/training, I haven't had a problem or even adjusted them.

Never mind, I have the XS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have yet to see the 2013 in person, but it looks like there is now a single spring per side versus dual on the older models. I just bought a pair of the old model since the clearance prices on Jenson were so good. I am curious like the OP as to how the 2013 perform and hold up..

mtbr member
    I have two pairs of the new Time XC 12 pedals.

Last year I had two sets of XS Titaniums, both of them suffering bearing play after about 800 -900 miles each (both sets left pedal, coincidence I guess), and one set having one of the axles that holds the springs in place always coming out. Time replaced both sets for free, so customer service is excellent.

The new XC 12 really is a nice pedal, feeling when clicking in /out seems to be a little firmer (spring setting is 2, like on my previous XS sets), but the overal feeling when riding is the same. Can't tell the difference blind folded between XC or XS pedals.

The XC 8 carbon seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Afric Pepperbird
    Bump!

I've been using ATAC XS for years, and may need a new pair of Times soon. The Time website only shows XC, so this must be the new thing.

I'd be happy for the XC 4, which is around $110-115. Grendalfly mentions a single spring. Is this the case? Are there any other noticeable differences between XS and the new XC?

Let's hear about it!

Thanks in advance.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    After breaking 3 sets of Eggbeaters, I chose between XTR/XT and TIME. Broke My 4 month old TIME ATAC CARBON last tue. Pedal slid to end of spindle 10 minutes into 1.5 hr loop. Sucked. Today My other set (15 rides old) started to squeak on left pedal. I really am at a loss of what to do, what to buy. Price Point sent free Warranty set and they arrived today, but I am thinking of sending back both pairs (one still unopened, one squeaker) and buying XTR? Ritchey? Really makes me want to sell $5000 bike and buy a skateboard (j/k). I cannnot recommend TIME, other than good 24 month warranty.

mtbr member
    Give the new Look S-Track race pedals a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hoolie,

The XTR's are having problems also. I am on my second set of spindles and after about 100 miles I already have pedal play on the right. Have to adjust the bearings again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My new XC carbon 8's came in this week. The directions say that they are preset in position #1 (least tension) but that's tough to confirm since the the adjustment screw isn't indexed with a number??? Annoying, but i gave them a 24 mile try. My shoe came unclipped during a technical climb! I stopped and turned the adjustment screws to one position higher in tension. Again, my left foot came out toward the end of the trail. Once I got home I notice that the tension screw seemed to have backed off to a lesser setting. I tried to adjust the tension to the highest tension setting. Nope, the screw broke and now I can't adjust it at all. I used a perfect fitting small "Snap-on" screw driver to make the adjustment and the cheap screw head just broke off. Even if it hadn't broke I'm not convinced the tension would have held anyway. I requested a refund.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I spent over 200 dollars on my attac pedals.in a few months the pin that holds spring in pedal slid out and I lost the spring.The bike shop sent pedals back to France,after at least a couple of months i got a shipment back from them.1 new pedal and 1 of the used pedals,WTF.I will be emailing them thats insane.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by hogspen View Post
    I spent over 200 dollars on my attac pedals.in a few months the pin that holds spring in pedal slid out and I lost the spring.The bike shop sent pedals back to France,after at least a couple of months i got a shipment back from them.1 new pedal and 1 of the used pedals,WTF.I will be emailing them thats insane.
    Short story: same here
    Long story: I've been using ATACS for over 10 years. My pins inevitably came out, but only after months of use. A dab of JB Weld took care of the problem.

I bought new ATACs this summer. Pins started backing out after several rides. Like I said, it's nothing I haven't seen, but the fact that it happened so quickly surprised me. Shop replaced them with a new set. Same problem with set#2. I then backed out the pins with a punch & hammer, applied JB Weld to the contact surfaces and punched the pins back into place. Now that's starting to fail.

It appears Time took an already flawed design and made it worse. Perhaps they could have used a retaining pin or a threaded pin. My dealer said they've had multiple complaints with the new design. I don't want to switch platforms as I have multiple sets of Time pedals on bikes and shoes, but the new design isn't cutting it.

mtbr member
    Any more long term durability reports for Tme ATAC carbon xc8 and xc12s? I need some new pedals for a winter build and have narrowed it down to these two. Hoping people are having better luck with the most recent versions...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Picked up a new set of Time XC8 Carbon pedals in July 2013. Recently I noticed the pin that holds the spring in had worked its way out. I used a vice to center the pin back to the hole and pushed it back in. Now after one ride the pin is out again. Not happy at all.

Going to contact Time and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Send them back to Time they will repair them. This is problem with their design, they repaired mine and have been fine ever since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got an RMA # via email after sending them a picture of the pedals and the receipt. They were shipped back to Time USA yesterday. Will report the results. Glad I have a backup set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Time pretty promptly send a new set of XC8 pedals back to me. Less than two weeks turnaround time. Been travelling so only 2 rides in. Will need to watch those pins....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My pin slowly worked out on my ride foot only. And only when they are on my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Same pin problem here... I'm going to contact Time. I have the XC8s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question for those who are having pins work loose on their pedals: Where did you guys buy your Time pedals from?

I'm curious to see if it's a bad batch or if Time has botched the build & design on their new pedals.
    I'm also looking to replace my 15 year old ATAC Carbons at some point and would rather not run into any issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've used only TIME ATACs for 15 years. I bought these XC8s from probikekit.com

They only have 200 or so miles on them before they started failing.

Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used red LockTite on my pins, put some on the spline before I pressed it back in, and some covering the end, and they seem to be holding now after multiple rides.

Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is a design flaw, this has now happened to different sets of Atac pedals for me. One set I sent back they repaired the one pedal that had the pin popping out, the other they did not touch. The other set I just put strong red lock tight on splines and tapped back in. It has fixed the problem.

You would think that all they need to do is make pins slightly longer and than put circlip at the end, problem solved!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Loctite has worked great so far.

mtbr member

ditto

Same problem w my ATAC X9s. The pin worked it's way out after about 10 mtn rides w/o me noticing, and I lost both the pin and the spring. I gave it to my LBS, who contacted Time and replaced the one pedal.

10 rides later, and I had a similar problem with pin and spring dangling on. Looking closer, ALL FOUR pins (from both pedals) were halfway out. Luckily, I didn't lose any parts.

I'll crazy glue them in tonight.

Bodhisattva
    I'm on my 3rd set since last fall. The dealer keeps replacing them on warranty - no hassle.

I had a pin start to loosen after one ride on the pair installed last week, so the problem persists. JB Weld held for awhile on my last pair but eventually failed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Red loctite has worked really well so far. No movement what so ever.

All fat, all the time.
    This isn't making me feel good about the newer design! I've been using the XS carbon's for years & they have been great, was curious to try the xc 8's but not so sure now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would not buy these pedals. I've used the TIME ATAC pedals for over 15 years and this latest model is very problematic. I've now officially switched over to SPDs.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    Red loctite has worked really well so far. No movement what so ever.
    So does a dab of Gorilla Glue.

But I wish the problem would go away.

Can anyone verify if the newest models still do this?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    So does a dab of Gorilla Glue.

But I wish the problem would go away.

Can anyone verify if the newest models still do this?
    One pin started to back out following two rides on a set I got last week

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    I would not buy these pedals. I've used the TIME ATAC pedals for over 15 years and this latest model is very problematic. I've now officially switched over to SPDs.
    This. Still the most reliable and best performing. I'm leery though about the new multi release cleats.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I guess I will stick with my 10 year old Time Alum pedals. I have several sets of SPD pedals but they don't work for me in muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm the original poster.
    I got 2 pairs of XC8s shortly after posting last year.
    Between the 2 sets....I did 2500 miles of rocky mtb, close to 1000 miles of dirt roads,16 cross races and training and over 1000 miles on my fatbike.
    Both sets are fine

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    I guess I will stick with my 10 year old Time Alum pedals. I have several sets of SPD pedals but they don't work for me in muddy conditions.
    I've had the same pair aliums for about 10 years too. Ridden them on my road, touring and MTB.
    can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Unfortunate but true that the XC8 is not well designed. One tension bar on both of pedals have bent on day 4 of riding. I've been a time guy for 14 years, but this pedal is crap and Time has to know it.

mtbr member

Have been riding time pedals for 15 yrs. still have a 10-yr old pair going strong. Got a pair of XS 3 yrs or so ago and just recently lost an end cap on a ride. Now that I've removed them to get a replacement part, I realized both have quite a bit or bearing play. Going to have the LBS check em out, but seems like they aren't quite as bombproof as they used to be...

Bodhisattva
    I just returned my 4th set of xc8 to my shop due to defect.

I picked up a set of XTR - first time I'll be without time pedals since 2000. The new xc8 is junk.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-31-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: mistype

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Let us know how to like the XTR compared to the Time!! Thinking about switching over also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I gave up on the new Times for all the reasons set forth above, and went SPD. My admittedly fragile knees could not tolerate the "stickiness" of their float. Otherwise, great pedals.

I have to admit I never even tried the new Times, but as my old ones wore out, two friends and long-time Time (see what I did there?) lovers had thrown the towel on the new versions, so I figured why bother.

I then switched to Eggbeaters, which have issues of their own, especially if you are big, fairly powerful, and stand more than occasionally. For instance, I undercut the front of a CB cleat in less than 20 hours, to the point that it works like crap, moves around noticeably, and makes noise.

For road riding, you couldn't get me off my old Speedplays, so yesterday, I ordered a new pair of their mtb Frogs. These also seem to have their own set of issues, but I guess I'll find out, and report back.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Let us know how to like the XTR compared to the Time!! Thinking about switching over also.
    Two rides thus far and I'm very happy.

Fat & Single
    I have 2 sets of the "old" Atac Carbons and the pin came out on 1 pedal on each set, I put a drip of superglue on the splines and tapped them back in, that was well over 2 years ago.

The new XC8 that replaced the Atac Carbons, I have 2 sets of them also now, obviously not as old as the others but in over a year I have had no issues.

Wouldn't change back to SPD or Eggs for anything... love the TIME float, solid engagement and quick pop out when the shizz goes down.

All pedals have their downsides.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Are there any other updates on the new Time Atac XC pedals? I am thinking of getting a pair of the XC6 pedals. I want more float than my Shimano XT pedals can provide. I am hoping Time fixed any issues they may have been having.

Fat & Single
    Just get them, they are way better than any other offerings IMO.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My concern with getting them is all the reports of failure with the pin that holds the spring in place backing out. Did Time fix this issues?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The issue with pins still exist, I just new pair of XC8 carbon and so far I love them. I put a dab of crazy glue on the ends of pins and let sit overnight than I installed them. 3 weeks now on my Pivot Mach 429 and I love them. About a 100 grams lighter then Shimano xtr pedals with better float. You can get them for about 140.00.

Fat & Single
    I have 3 set of the "old" ones and 1 set of the new XC8, i dabbed super glue on retaining pins on 2 of the old sets, have not touched the new ones yet.

Worth it for the best pedals around...
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have an older set of the Atac carbons 1997. Did the same pin fix as Ozzy mentioned and there still going strong. I have one set of the newer XC8 carbons and have not had any issues with them.
    The weight difference to XTR's is not that much. My XTR 980 = 304 grams. XC8 carbon = 288 grams.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    My concern with getting them is all the reports of failure with the pin that holds the spring in place backing out. Did Time fix this issues?
    I emailed them a couple of months ago. Their reply was that, yes, they did resolve this issue over six months ago.

I will still stick with them in the future. When my Gorilla-glued pedals break down, I'll get another pair and hope they are right.

All fat, all the time.
    I still plan to pick up a set of the xc8.
    Just make sure to buy them from a good shop, not eBay, so if there is a warranty issue it can be taken care of.
    I have two backup sets of xs carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I look up Shimano XTR-PD-M985 Trail pedals at 398 grams they were the pedals I was going to get!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I look up Shimano XTR-PD-M985 Trail pedals at 398 grams they were the pedals I was going to get!!
    Ah yes the trail pedals with the platform are def. heavy. I was refering to the XTR Race pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals-img_2189_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was looking on the TIME website and it does not look like they are producing the XC2 and XC4 (the old ROC) any longer. While heavier than the new XC6,8,12, I never heard of issues with that design. I wonder if it has something to do with the spring being round material like the original Alium pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My XC-8's have been flawless, no pin problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Do you XC-8's sit flush with your shoes or is there a gap between the show and pedal body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat & Single
    When clipped in to the time cleats, the metal retaining clip rests against the sole of your shoe, or in my case a set of Crank Brother cleat plates. Cant think what you mean by "gap" as there can be no gap, or you wont be clipped in.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    a gap between the sole and the pedal body. Yes, there is : Mavic, Shimano or Specialized shoes, there is always a gap present which gives a 'wobbly' impression

Fat & Single
    Ive got a pair of Shimano shoes and have not had any issues... have not used them in a while either though.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

All fat, all the time.
    Pins have been fine in my XC8's the past month or so. Great pedals, & cheap from ribble (not the quickest shipping but hey)

Fat & Single
    Well yesterday at approx 1 yr old I had a pin slide out on a set of XC8's... so I took the opportunity to drop a spot of loctite on the pins of both sets.

That should keep them functioning 100% like the other 2 sets that had the pins glued years ago and have never had to look at them since.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Well yesterday at approx 1 yr old I had a pin slide out on a set of XC8's... so I took the opportunity to drop a spot of loctite on the pins of both sets.

That should keep them functioning 100% like the other 2 sets that had the pins glued years ago and have never had to look at them since.
    Anybody post a pic of the pins? And the fix?
    I have a set of alum ones but considering the XC8's but I'll "fix" them right out of the box

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasshawn View Post
    Anybody post a pic of the pins? And the fix?
    I have a set of alum ones but considering the XC8's but I'll "fix" them right out of the box
    My advice, do not get these pedals. I waited about 6 weeks to get the XC6 replaced with the pin that slid out, after the third ride the clip that contacts the shoe has broken! Sent a question to Time, no answer after a week. I have an old pair of Atacs which have been fine for three years. It appears that Time pedals are now cheap junk... only not that cheap!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So the obvious next question is what pedal now?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva
    another of my long-term ATAC friends got tired of his glued pins backing out and has since switched to shimano pedals and is happy. I'm three months into xtr platform pedals since giving up on the POS x8 and am not looking back.

Good deals are to be had on shimano pedals currently, since the 2015 models are slated for release shortly

Fat & Single
    Its a PITA having it happen but they are easily knocked back in with a multitool which is good enough to get home on (or even another ride or 2)

Once glued with Loctite 401 (superglue) I have never had them come out again.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    another of my long-term ATAC friends got tired of his glued pins backing out and has since switched to shimano pedals and is happy. I'm three months into xtr platform pedals since giving up on the POS x8 and am not looking back.

Good deals are to be had on shimano pedals currently, since the 2015 models are slated for release shortly
    Squeak, any info on what's changing for the 2015 XT pedals?

Prices are amazing right now on the 14s......

Thanks!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Squeak, any info on what's changing for the 2015 XT pedals?

Prices are amazing right now on the 14s......

Thanks!
    only things I've heard/read are perhaps a slightly slimmer stack height and nominal weight savings.

I just picked up another set of xtr platform at a great price

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    only things I've heard/read are perhaps a slightly slimmer stack height and nominal weight savings.

I just picked up another set of xtr platform at a great price

I wonder if they will change anything about their bearings. I think they still use loose ball bearings. Maybe they will move to sealed cartridge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have some XS Carbons that are about 4 years old that are in need of a rebuild. Had thought about replacing with some XC8s, but this thread has me concerned. Did the fix (whatever that was) that Time implemented early this year fix the pin issue? Anyone with newer XC8s having problems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    XC8's apx 8 months old with 900 miles on them, flawless!

Zesrać się! Nie
    Dec 2007
    I started to have problems with my Atac XC8 after switich to new pair of cleats. At the same time I changed shoes for new one.

Problem is with spring tension. The shoes are very loosely connected to the pedals. I tried adjusting the spring tension screw, switching cleats between the shoes. No effect my knees was moving left and right much more than before, on old cleats. There is no play on the shoes, I just have "butter" feeling which makes mi very angry!!!

So I tried to come back to old cleats and even old shoes. The same story too easy unclipping, loose connection, adjusting spring tension doesn't give any effect. I am really dissappointed. I have bought them as new on ebay, so I am not sure that Time will replace them under warranty. I am from Poland we have our local dealer. Will he take them despite I bought them on ebay? Does any one have same problem with too loose connetion, low spring tension? I think do not have problem with pins, but I will check it.

Zesrać się! Nie
    Dec 2007
    I started to have problems with my Atac XC8 after switich to new pair of cleats. At the same time I changed shoes for new one.

Problem is with spring tension. The shoes are very loosely connected to the pedals. I tried adjusting the spring tension screw, switching cleats between the shoes. No effect my knees was moving left and right much more than before, on old cleats. There is no play on the shoes, I just have "butter" feeling which makes mi very angry!!!

So I tried to come back to old cleats and even old shoes. The same story too easy unclipping, loose connection, adjusting spring tension doesn't give any effect. I am really dissappointed. I have bought them as new on ebay, so I am not sure that Time will replace them under warranty. I am from Poland we have our local dealer. Will he take them despite I bought them on ebay? Does any one have same problem with too loose connetion, low spring tension? I think do not have problem with pins, but I will check it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like the pins are backing out to me!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I had the loose feeling in my ATAC XS in one of the pedals. Turned out that the end cap (which tensions the bearing) had backed out. Would think it's unlikely you have that condition in both pedals at the same time though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals

I have had Time pedals on a few bikes over the years, both road and mountain. When I bought a new mountain bike a couple of years ago I went with the XC6, big mistake!
    As a company Time has gone down the tubes. The first set of these pedals began to fall apart after about 4 months when the pin that acts as an axel worked its way out. I sent these off for warranty which was pretty straight forward as it was a manufacturing defect. It took about 4 months to get a replacement pair.
    When the new pedals arrived the assembly was changed to hold this axel in place but on the second ride the clip bent from a pedal strike, on the third ride it broke. The company I purchased them from told me to deal with Time directly and Time wanted a fifty dollar fee to fix them. These were still under warranty! Crap pedals from a crap company. Will never buy from Time again.

AOK
    mtbr member

I have run ATACs - both original and XS versions - for years and never had a single issue. They have been bombproof.

I had the pins back out after a few months of use on my XC8 pedals. Sent them in to Time USA for repair and received a brand new pair in the mail a few weeks later.

I'm disappointed with the failure but very happy with Time USA customer service. Hopefully the replacement pedals will hold up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My xc8 carbon pedals starting giving me problems, springs start to bend than you start coming out of pedals at the worst times. My pedals are only 4 months old, carbon ends are cracked and no longer able to adjust tension. I send my other XS back for repairs but I think now I'm dome with Time!! I guess there's a reason why the XC8 are going for 106.85 now, their junk!! I just made the move to Shimano XTR I love them!! Never go back to Time!! Only 20g more weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My xc8 carbon pedals starting giving me problems, springs start to bend than you start coming out of pedals at the worst times. My pedals are only 4 months old, carbon ends are cracked and no longer able to adjust tension. I send my other XS back for repairs but I think now I'm dome with Time!! I guess there's a reason why the XC8 are going for 106.85 now, their junk!! I just made the move to Shimano XTR I love them!! Never go back to Time!! Only 20g more weight.
    How does the float compare between the two pedals? I love the way my time pedals feel and how well they operate in all conditions but my last two sets have been pieces of junk otherwise and seeing as they are not inexpensive to keep replacing I'm ready to jump ship if I can find a good alternative.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Going to try to resurrect this thread. The XC12 has gone down to $205 with coupon code, so I'm definitely getting tempted to replace the 5 year old XS Carbons. Haven't heard as many complaints since Time made the changes early last year, but maybe no one is buying these things anymore? If I pressed the pins out when new and applied super glue, would that eliminate my issues? Is my best bet red loctite or regular super glue? Are the bars or other aspects of the pedal any more fragile than my XS Carbons or is the pins the only issue.

Fat & Single
    A drop of superglue when the issue arises fixes the pin issue, suppose you could pre-empt the problem and do the pins from new.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Was thinking that if I did the super glue from the start, the pedal bodies wouldn't have a chance to wallow out. Think I'm going to give it and buy a set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
    Was thinking that if I did the super glue from the start, the pedal bodies wouldn't have a chance to wallow out. Think I'm going to give it and buy a set.
    So... how has it been? I need to get a new set and I'm hoping they fixed the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_JAWN View Post
    So... how has it been? I need to get a new set and I'm hoping they fixed the problem.
    I have had mine for the last 4 months. Not a long term, but have not had any problems yet.
    I liked the previous design better though. The metal springs were wider and slightly easier to clip in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    This isn't making me feel good about the newer design! I've been using the XS carbon's for years & they have been great, was curious to try the xc 8's but not so sure now.
    I have some of the older XS Carbon with a Ti spindle. The arch started to rattle on one pedal, and the LBS said it's time for new pedals, despite nice smooth bearings.

After reading this, I'm wondering if it's worth refurbishing them. Maybe the spring is just worn. Anybody try to re-stretch the springs on these pedals?

I could replace all the arches and springs, but it's over $100. Worth doing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I have some of the older XS Carbon with a Ti spindle. The arch started to rattle on one pedal, and the LBS said it's time for new pedals, despite nice smooth bearings.

After reading this, I'm wondering if it's worth refurbishing them. Maybe the spring is just worn. Anybody try to re-stretch the springs on these pedals?

I could replace all the arches and springs, but it's over $100. Worth doing?
    The bearings last forever, the springs are what go bad over time!! The pins are an easy fix. I think when that happens there's no fixing without replacement!!

mtbr member
    Hmm worth a try I guess.
    Anybody have a good source for springs?
    I saw them on ebay cheap but with brutal shipping to Canada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Hmm worth a try I guess.
    Anybody have a good source for springs?
    I saw them on ebay cheap but with brutal shipping to Canada.
    Update- I banged out the pin, took out the springs, clamped them in a vice and opened them up and bit then reinstalled- No more rattle. The springs had just gotten looser, and it was easy to reactivate them. No need for new springs on my trusty XS pedals. The arch sections are a bit worn, but not shot yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have 2 pairs of the xs8 and also bought a pair of the xc8's. No problem with the CS pedals. I bent the springs on the xc's and could not find replacement springs so I bought a pair of xc2 pedals cheap. To my surprise they weight 3 grams more than the xc8 pedals. I took both apart. They look to be exactly the same just a different color. Really crazy. I also wasn't so happy to see no bearing on the inside of the pedal-just a plastic sleeve. You be the judge. I have been happy with my xs8 but haven't ridden the xc8s as much as the spring broke

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Instead of using JB Weld (which is kinda brittle once it dries) try Loctite Marine epoxy on the ends of the pins. My last pair of ATACs had a pin start working its way out of the body after a few hundred hours of riding. I drove it back in & dabbed a spot of marine epoxy (somewhat elastic when dry). That was 2 years ago & I haven't had any issues since.
    What Time needs to do is thread the retention pin & use a T-nut or barrel nut inside the pedal body. That way you can still disassemble/rebuild the pedal, but the pins can be screwed into the body securely with some nice red loc-tite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thought I would update this now that I have close to a year on the XC 12s. No issues so far. Put a drop of Gorilla Super glue on each pin, which also has a bit of flexibility. I would love to go with Shimano, but 43 with no knee pain makes me resistant to experiment.

That makes me smart
    This thread makes me sad. I'm getting a new (used) bike and since my OLD Times gave me such good service, I wanted to put new Times on the new bike.

Looks like that won't be happening, as I don't want to be gluing up a new pedal. Stupid.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My XC8's that I can see I got replaced in 2014 early in this thread are still going strong with no issues and no maint. In fact I forget about this problem until I was searching for another set to put on another bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    My XC8's that I can see I got replaced in 2014 early in this thread are still going strong with no issues and no maint. In fact I forget about this problem until I was searching for another set to put on another bike...
    I cannot believe I wrote this in June. Sure enough in the last month my XC8's have rounded out the hole they sit in and now come loose within a ride. The vice trick with epoxy is no longer working. These are about 2 years old, I am going to ask Time, but they are pretty far out of warranty...sucks..

rack admirer
    I have been using times for almost 20 years. I have not bought any for at least 5 years. I have noticed that I am jumping out of my times recently. I bought new cleats but the problem remains on 2 different pair. I have a pair of old time platforms that I will dig out. I found this post because i was considering the Shimano XT trail platforms and wanted to know if people are switching as times are harder to find. How long will the transition and muscle memory take me? is the float comparable? I appreciate any input of experience, facts or opinions. I don't want to start crashing locked in again after 20 problem free years.
    Thanks a million
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    so after almost 2 years of cycling, i decided to start using cleats.
    I was looking for the Shimano PDM520 but came across the time xc4 on special.
    what will be better for a beginner? obviously i would like a quick and easy release, for the last month
    i been practising on my dad's road bike but not sure what pedals he's got .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I have been using times for almost 20 years. I have not bought any for at least 5 years. I have noticed that I am jumping out of my times recently. I bought new cleats but the problem remains on 2 different pair. I have a pair of old time platforms that I will dig out. I found this post because i was considering the Shimano XT trail platforms and wanted to know if people are switching as times are harder to find. How long will the transition and muscle memory take me? is the float comparable? I appreciate any input of experience, facts or opinions. I don't want to start crashing locked in again after 20 problem free years.
    Thanks a million
    Went from time to shimano (XT M8000). No problems what so ever. Feels just the same.
    Float is bit different. With time float is always bit spring loaded and resistance will grow until you click out. With shimano float is without spring load. Both work just fine but reading how quality has suffered for latest gen times I am happy that I switched.
    I was worried that difference would be bigger and there would be little learning curve but it's just pedals. Click in and go.

Members who have read this thread: 20