Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals

I'm a long time user of the older ATAC XS pedals.
    How are the new pedals working and holding up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I put 1000 miles on mine last year, Racing/riding/training, I haven't had a problem or even adjusted them.

Never mind, I have the XS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have yet to see the 2013 in person, but it looks like there is now a single spring per side versus dual on the older models. I just bought a pair of the old model since the clearance prices on Jenson were so good. I am curious like the OP as to how the 2013 perform and hold up..

mtbr member
    I have two pairs of the new Time XC 12 pedals.

Last year I had two sets of XS Titaniums, both of them suffering bearing play after about 800 -900 miles each (both sets left pedal, coincidence I guess), and one set having one of the axles that holds the springs in place always coming out. Time replaced both sets for free, so customer service is excellent.

The new XC 12 really is a nice pedal, feeling when clicking in /out seems to be a little firmer (spring setting is 2, like on my previous XS sets), but the overal feeling when riding is the same. Can't tell the difference blind folded between XC or XS pedals.

The XC 8 carbon seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Afric Pepperbird
    Bump!

I've been using ATAC XS for years, and may need a new pair of Times soon. The Time website only shows XC, so this must be the new thing.

I'd be happy for the XC 4, which is around $110-115. Grendalfly mentions a single spring. Is this the case? Are there any other noticeable differences between XS and the new XC?

Let's hear about it!

Thanks in advance.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    After breaking 3 sets of Eggbeaters, I chose between XTR/XT and TIME. Broke My 4 month old TIME ATAC CARBON last tue. Pedal slid to end of spindle 10 minutes into 1.5 hr loop. Sucked. Today My other set (15 rides old) started to squeak on left pedal. I really am at a loss of what to do, what to buy. Price Point sent free Warranty set and they arrived today, but I am thinking of sending back both pairs (one still unopened, one squeaker) and buying XTR? Ritchey? Really makes me want to sell $5000 bike and buy a skateboard (j/k). I cannnot recommend TIME, other than good 24 month warranty.

mtbr member
    Give the new Look S-Track race pedals a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hoolie,

The XTR's are having problems also. I am on my second set of spindles and after about 100 miles I already have pedal play on the right. Have to adjust the bearings again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My new XC carbon 8's came in this week. The directions say that they are preset in position #1 (least tension) but that's tough to confirm since the the adjustment screw isn't indexed with a number??? Annoying, but i gave them a 24 mile try. My shoe came unclipped during a technical climb! I stopped and turned the adjustment screws to one position higher in tension. Again, my left foot came out toward the end of the trail. Once I got home I notice that the tension screw seemed to have backed off to a lesser setting. I tried to adjust the tension to the highest tension setting. Nope, the screw broke and now I can't adjust it at all. I used a perfect fitting small "Snap-on" screw driver to make the adjustment and the cheap screw head just broke off. Even if it hadn't broke I'm not convinced the tension would have held anyway. I requested a refund.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I spent over 200 dollars on my attac pedals.in a few months the pin that holds spring in pedal slid out and I lost the spring.The bike shop sent pedals back to France,after at least a couple of months i got a shipment back from them.1 new pedal and 1 of the used pedals,WTF.I will be emailing them thats insane.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by hogspen View Post
    I spent over 200 dollars on my attac pedals.in a few months the pin that holds spring in pedal slid out and I lost the spring.The bike shop sent pedals back to France,after at least a couple of months i got a shipment back from them.1 new pedal and 1 of the used pedals,WTF.I will be emailing them thats insane.
    Short story: same here
    Long story: I've been using ATACS for over 10 years. My pins inevitably came out, but only after months of use. A dab of JB Weld took care of the problem.

I bought new ATACs this summer. Pins started backing out after several rides. Like I said, it's nothing I haven't seen, but the fact that it happened so quickly surprised me. Shop replaced them with a new set. Same problem with set#2. I then backed out the pins with a punch & hammer, applied JB Weld to the contact surfaces and punched the pins back into place. Now that's starting to fail.

It appears Time took an already flawed design and made it worse. Perhaps they could have used a retaining pin or a threaded pin. My dealer said they've had multiple complaints with the new design. I don't want to switch platforms as I have multiple sets of Time pedals on bikes and shoes, but the new design isn't cutting it.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Any more long term durability reports for Tme ATAC carbon xc8 and xc12s? I need some new pedals for a winter build and have narrowed it down to these two. Hoping people are having better luck with the most recent versions...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Picked up a new set of Time XC8 Carbon pedals in July 2013. Recently I noticed the pin that holds the spring in had worked its way out. I used a vice to center the pin back to the hole and pushed it back in. Now after one ride the pin is out again. Not happy at all.

Going to contact Time and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Send them back to Time they will repair them. This is problem with their design, they repaired mine and have been fine ever since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got an RMA # via email after sending them a picture of the pedals and the receipt. They were shipped back to Time USA yesterday. Will report the results. Glad I have a backup set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Time pretty promptly send a new set of XC8 pedals back to me. Less than two weeks turnaround time. Been travelling so only 2 rides in. Will need to watch those pins....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My pin slowly worked out on my ride foot only. And only when they are on my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Same pin problem here... I'm going to contact Time. I have the XC8s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question for those who are having pins work loose on their pedals: Where did you guys buy your Time pedals from?

I'm curious to see if it's a bad batch or if Time has botched the build & design on their new pedals.
    I'm also looking to replace my 15 year old ATAC Carbons at some point and would rather not run into any issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've used only TIME ATACs for 15 years. I bought these XC8s from probikekit.com

They only have 200 or so miles on them before they started failing.

Any one using the new Time ATAC XC pedals-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used red LockTite on my pins, put some on the spline before I pressed it back in, and some covering the end, and they seem to be holding now after multiple rides.

Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is a design flaw, this has now happened to different sets of Atac pedals for me. One set I sent back they repaired the one pedal that had the pin popping out, the other they did not touch. The other set I just put strong red lock tight on splines and tapped back in. It has fixed the problem.

You would think that all they need to do is make pins slightly longer and than put circlip at the end, problem solved!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Loctite has worked great so far.

mtbr member

ditto

Same problem w my ATAC X9s. The pin worked it's way out after about 10 mtn rides w/o me noticing, and I lost both the pin and the spring. I gave it to my LBS, who contacted Time and replaced the one pedal.

10 rides later, and I had a similar problem with pin and spring dangling on. Looking closer, ALL FOUR pins (from both pedals) were halfway out. Luckily, I didn't lose any parts.

I'll crazy glue them in tonight.

Bodhisattva
    I'm on my 3rd set since last fall. The dealer keeps replacing them on warranty - no hassle.

I had a pin start to loosen after one ride on the pair installed last week, so the problem persists. JB Weld held for awhile on my last pair but eventually failed.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast