mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Any good tutorial on cable routing?

I am new to bike building and it seems like a lot of the videos seem to skip over the details of routing the housing and cables and using ferrules, etc etc.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I usually just do a google image search for whatever bike I'm working on if it's not straightforward where things are supposed to go.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, short of checking the googles (or going to the manufacturer website for pics), cable routing is about smooth lines. The smoother any bends, the smoother any cable pulling will be. Some bikes have crap routing and either you get stuck using that, or you hack together a better solution with stick-on cable guides or something.

If you are talking about internal routing, that will depend on how the particular bike in question routes cables through the frame. Some do it well and the process is more or less a cakewalk. Others do it very poorly and it will take you awhile (and maybe some tools you'll only use for routing cables in that bike).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Gotcha, thanks guys. What do the ferrules do and are they all kind of the same or are there different types etc? I'm wonder what that assembly process looks like, though it seems pretty simply and just shoving in the ends

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Gotcha, thanks guys. What do the ferrules do and are they all kind of the same or are there different types etc? I'm wonder what that assembly process looks like, though it seems pretty simply and just shoving in the ends
    Pics of your frame might be good at this point. Personally I avoid housing stops. If I have to zip-tie full-length housing to my frame, so be it but I won't tolerate interrupted housing -- it's asking for trouble.
    -sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

because GIANT
    shift cable housing typically has longitudinal wires along the length. when you cut the cable housing the ferrule keeps the integrity of the cable so the housing doesn't creep under pressure and fall apart at the cable stops
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ok cool.yeah there will be no hosing stops in this build
    It's a rocky mountain instinct 2018

because GIANT
    Ok cool.yeah there will be no hosing stops in this build
    It's a rocky mountain instinct 2018
    there are two. one at shifter one at der

leave out the ferrule, will fall apart eventually
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 4 Days Ago at 05:10 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    incorrect, there are two. one at shifter one at der

leave out the ferrule, will fall apart eventually
    Also, use plastic ferrules, shifting wil turn to mush eventually. Use metal ferrules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Excellent. What is the difference between sealed and non-sealed ferrules? Do they have different applications? I'm setting up a SRAM drive train and have purchased a Shimano SP41 Cable/Housing kit. It comes with 3000mm of SP41 housing, cables, ferrules and some end caps. I'm guessing thats everything and that it'll work well with the SRAM drive train. Anything I'm missing?

since 4/10/2009
    Excellent. What is the difference between sealed and non-sealed ferrules? Do they have different applications? I'm setting up a SRAM drive train and have purchased a Shimano SP41 Cable/Housing kit. It comes with 3000mm of SP41 housing, cables, ferrules and some end caps. I'm guessing thats everything and that it'll work well with the SRAM drive train. Anything I'm missing?
    Kits are notorious for including plastic ferrules. Buy some metal ones and bin the plastic

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Out spokin'
    What is the difference between sealed and non-sealed ferrules?
    Sealed ferrules have a gaskety rubber seal in the end that wipes the cable as the cable moves. IMO this seal will hold water in as effectively as it keeps water out. Where I live, water always finds its way in so personally I use non-sealed ferrules.

IME the gaskety rubber seal doesn't add enough cable drag to be noticed. In the end I don't think it matters much -- sealed or non.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.