'All over it!'

Any comments on my drivetrain choice......

I have now decided on my drivetrain choice for my new Nicolai FR. I enjoy the challenge of a good climb before the awesome decent, therefore my choice of chain rings is important. I must have a strong chainset as I weigh 230lb and plan to use my bike as an all round rig, long rides, hard climbs, awesome decents and even some small drops/jumps etc. I would just like to post my decision and gain any advice from the masses before I purchase the components.

Shimano Saint double chainset.

E - Thirteen Bashring 104mm 36T.

E - Thirteen Middle Chainring 36T (to replace 32T shimano)

Shimano Dura Ace 12 - 27 9sp cassette

Shimano XTR Shadow Rear Mech - Short Cage (08)

Shimano XTR Front Mech

Shimano XTR Shifters (08)

SRAM PG 990 Chain

Any thoughts advice or experience would be much appriciated.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Any thoughts advice or experience would be much appriciated.
    I also use a 12-27 cassette, however, with a 42/29 chainring set.

With that gear combination, still, I sometimes need to climb out of the saddle up hills, let alone mountain trails. The 29T chainring is a saver, while the 42T gives me a little edge on the downhill.

I think all your other XTR stuffs are a good choice, especially the short cage rear derailleur with the 12-27. I choose an Ultegra cassette, rather than the Dura-ace, and a KMC X9SL chain. I mean, for you, if you're going all top end, don't skimp out on things like chains, or cables. If you're thinking "all around" bicycle, you might wanna consider your gearing, especially if you'll be doing some serious climbs.

Word.

'All over it!'
    Thanks for your advice. Much of my climbing is hard work here in the UK. I pretty much try to climb everything before going down. So what size chainrings would you recommend me run on the front?

Kosher Princess
    As a side note, the good thing about being in the UK is that you can get Middleburn gear!

My personal favorite.

As for the tooth count you should use for chainrings, hmmm...

It'll all depend on how strong, and what type of rider you are: masher (out of the saddle) or spinner (in the saddle), not to mention terrain severity.

Also consider gear ratio overlap, as you'll wanna avoid duplicating ratios.

Beyond that, I'd say ride someone's geared bicycle, and get an idea of what works.

Cheers.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I Don't Think There Is A Short Cage XTR Shadow

As far as I've seen it is only available in GS (Mid-cage) and SGS (long-cage).

mtbr member
    I too am looking to upgrade some of my drivetrain components, and I was hoping you guys could take a look at it and give me any info or advice. I want to retain the 8 spd setup, mainly just to save some money and also because it suits my needs for the time being.

The stock components I would like to keep are:
    Shimano ef50 brake/shift levers (desc. at Jensons)
    SRAM PG 830 8 spd cassette (11-32)
    Shimano IG-31 chain
    Acera fr. derailleur

I'd like to install the following:
    LX 175mm crankset w/ 2 rings (22, 32)
    Raceface or e.13 bashguard
    XT Shadow rear drlr medium cage

I know I'll most likely need to take some links off my chain. I don't think I need a chainguide. I think my main question is whether or not the stock levers will in any way detract from the performance of the Shadow drlr.

Still new to some of the componentry tech stuff, so I'd appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks in advance.

btw, this is for a DB hardtail. I mainly ride technical trails, with some sub 3' drops here and there. I suppose you could call this light AM...?

-G.