mtbr member

Another mtb/road combo cunundrum...

I'm looking at getting a touring frame/fork (Salsa's new Vaya) and I've been told by Salsa that I need to use a road crank and FD, as a mountain crank will be too far out since it has a road chain-line (46.5-47mm I believe).

I was hoping to use my existing parts set-up - Titec J-bar w/ dual control levers, XT crankset (currently a simple and smooth 26 40 double on my Monocog Flight) and existing mtn BB7s for this bike... but it appears that if I am going to do that I 'll need a new left shifter and brake lever to work with a road front der... wha would be the best way to try to make this work?

So, the specific questions:
    1) Is there a way to use my XT crankset and remove spacers on the drive side of the BB to move it in?

2.) If I use the existing dual control levers is there a way to get a road FD to work? It is a bottom pull bottom swing. I've heard that putting the cable on the opposite side of the bolt will work with slightly increase cable tension.

3) If I use a road compact crankset to work with the existing chainline can the XT FD be adjusted (w/ inner limit screw?) to work with it or will it simply just sit too far out for the inner chainring of the road crank?

My last resort is to go drop bar as I have some of the necessary parts - use some old 105 levers, put an octalink BB with a Ritchey Compact crank on and pick up a set of BB7 road brakes - $120 roughly... but I REALLY like the j-bar and dual control levers.

Thanks,
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    I'm looking at getting a touring frame/fork (Salsa's new Vaya) and I've been told by Salsa that I need to use a road crank and FD, as a mountain crank will be too far out since it has a road chain-line (46.5-47mm I believe).

I was hoping to use my existing parts set-up - Titec J-bar w/ dual control levers, XT crankset (currently a simple and smooth 26 40 double on my Monocog Flight) and existing mtn BB7s for this bike... but it appears that if I am going to do that I 'll need a new left shifter and brake lever to work with a road front der... wha would be the best way to try to make this work?

So, the specific questions:
    1) Is there a way to use my XT crankset and remove spacers on the drive side of the BB to move it in?

2.) If I use the existing dual control levers is there a way to get a road FD to work? It is a bottom pull bottom swing. I've heard that putting the cable on the opposite side of the bolt will work with slightly increase cable tension.

3) If I use a road compact crankset to work with the existing chainline can the XT FD be adjusted (w/ inner limit screw?) to work with it or will it simply just sit too far out for the inner chainring of the road crank?

My last resort is to go drop bar as I have some of the necessary parts - use some old 105 levers, put an octalink BB with a Ritchey Compact crank on and pick up a set of BB7 road brakes - $120 roughly... but I REALLY like the j-bar and dual control levers.

Thanks,
    S
    Just by removing the XT's outer chain ring you have moved the chainline in 3-4mm.

No need to change the FD.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I kinda thought so ...

Thanks Shig!

Before I posted I spoke with Salsa and the guy I spoke with said that the inner ring of the XT crank would sit too far out and that the chain would want to shift when it was on either end of the cassette...

So just in the name of completely understanding what he was talking about - it means that a road frame chainline is designed such that the cassette sits closer to the center-line of the frame than on a mountain frame (by 3.5mm as I was told) .... my concern is that the inner ring (on the XT crank) will be further out than the inner ring on a road crank and when using the largest cog in the cassette it will not want to stay on that cog...

Thoughts?

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    Thanks Shig!

Before I posted I spoke with Salsa and the guy I spoke with said that the inner ring of the XT crank would sit too far out and that the chain would want to shift when it was on either end of the cassette...

So just in the name of completely understanding what he was talking about - it means that a road frame chainline is designed such that the cassette sits closer to the center-line of the frame than on a mountain frame (by 3.5mm as I was told) .... my concern is that the inner ring (on the XT crank) will be further out than the inner ring on a road crank and when using the largest cog in the cassette it will not want to stay on that cog...

Thoughts?

S
    It is not really a problem. The road hub only moves the large cog inward ~2.5mm.

Your biggest issue will probably be the chain rubbing the big ring when using the smaller cogs and the 26T ring.

Just go ahead and setup the BB/crank as close in as you can (moving the spacers should work). It will be pretty much the same chainline as a road double.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Cool - figured that would be the case... I actually just pulled the trigger on the Vaya frame/fork and they'll call it in on Monday!

While I've got you here Shig - I'm also debating putting a compact double on there - which is what they spec on it - but if I use the XT front der with that do you think there would be any issues?

Thanks again... I'll post pics when things come together...

S
    Last edited by stevereeneo; 02-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.