I'm such a fox

Another chainline, outboard bearing crankset ?

I recently installed a Raceface Evolve X-type crankset on a Schwinn Mesa with a 73mm BB shell. The installation instructions call for one 2.5mm BB spacer to be installed on the drive side and none on the non-drive side. I also installed one 1mm spacer on the spindle of the non-drive side and none on the drive side. This is all according to instructions.

The problem is that my chainline is way off even by just eyeballing it. The drive side neems to be way outboard, so much so that when in the 22,32 gear combo the chain looks like it's almost crosschained. The only way of moving the driveside inboard would be to remove the BB shell spacer from the driveside and moving it over to the non-drive side. This would of course offset the whole crankset to the left by 2.5mm.

My question really is; Has anyone done this and if so did you notice the difference with the crankset being offset? Will I be doing damage to myself by riding like this?

mtbr member
    All the external BB cranks are using a 49-50 mm chainline instead of the correct 47.5 mm chainline so they have enough chainring clearance for all frame types.

A lot of people are offsetting the crank to the non-drive side to correct the chainline problem. You will probably never notice it, and if you do you can just offset the cleats on your shoes to compensate for this.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Whoa

I saw the same thing last night, I'll try swapping one spacer to the other side and letcha know how it goes.

LBS Manager

I had mine set that way

I ran it like that untill I got a new frame and found that on the new one it had an illl effect ( the chain line was messed up in the outhr direction). I never had any problems with my original set up.

MTB B'dos
    With my new XT HollowTech2 crankset I also had to do this and have tried to offset it by having a spacer on the right side pedal and non on the left (standard spcaer that came with the pedals, about 1+mm). I also sanded down one of the 2.5mm spacers so that the BB was exactly matching the BB width when installed so I only actually have 3.7mm of spacers on the left side instead of 5mm and 2.5mm on the drive side. Best thing to check is to do it and measure the distance the pedals actually are from the chainstays on both left and right side.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics