mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Another BB question - need to replace but not sure with what.

I have searched for a few hours now and I can't find the exact answer to my question.

Essentially, I have an Iron Horse Azure Expert with this crank / BB assembly:

http://www.raceface.com/tech/inst/Ev...asCrankset.pdf

I am not sure what happened (only ~200 miles on the bike) but the BB has developed quite a bit of play and it creaks fairly badly now. I think the install may have been done incorrectly as there are no 2.5mm spacers visible (I think there should be one on the drive side). I have read that the Race Face BBs are of poor quality anyway and want to get something more durable.

I am thinking of these:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id181.html

I am not sure if A) They will work and B) if I have the necessary spacers to make them fit on my frame (73mm). I think I will need to purchase one 25mm spacer and I am not sure where to get one.

In short, I honestly don't know what to buy. I have also heard that the Shimano Cups match the X-Type as well but there seem to be a few different versions (which one?).

Lastly, will I need any other special tools than the Park BB9?

Sorry for all the questions and the confusing post, this is all pretty new to me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You might be able to get a spacer from your LBS for free or cheap. Or if you know anyone that installed the RF BB, they might have one.

The enduroforkseals bearings work well. If you want to send them your old cups and have them press in the new ones, you will need that tool. If you plan to do the install yourself, you can remove the cups and buy their expensive bearing press tool for the job.

Or, leave the cups on the bike and just use a long screwdriver to knock the the old ones out and a bolt, washers, and nut to install the new ones:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309&page=2

banned
    The Enduro kit will work fine with the X-type Race Face cranks, and it is intended to work with them as well as several others.

The Enduro kit comes with 2 spacers. That should be fine for you as you will be needing one spacer. If for some reason you lose spacers, you can pick them up at any decent bike shop as they always have leftovers. They are not 25mm though. They are 2.5mm. With a 73mm BB shell, you do NOT use non-drive side spacers, and you use 1 2.5mm drive side spacer.... so 1 drive side spacer is what you are looking to use. The kit also has 1mm seals so dialing chainline if you like is no problem.

You will not need any different tool than the cup installer/remover you are already familiar with. The BBT-9.

I don't know anything about the Shimano compatibilities.

Hope that helps. Yes on the Enduro cups/bearing/spacer kit. 1 drive side spacer for a 73mm shell and clamp on front derailleur. No extra tools.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    The Enduro kit will work fine with the X-type Race Face cranks, and it is intended to work with them as well as several others.

The Enduro kit comes with 2 spacers. That should be fine for you as you will be needing one spacer. If for some reason you lose spacers, you can pick them up at any decent bike shop as they always have leftovers. They are not 25mm though. They are 2.5mm. With a 73mm BB shell, you do NOT use non-drive side spacers, and you use 1 2.5mm drive side spacer.... so 1 drive side spacer is what you are looking to use. The kit also has 1mm seals so dialing chainline if you like is no problem.

You will not need any different tool than the cup installer/remover you are already familiar with. The BBT-9.

I don't know anything about the Shimano compatibilities.

Hope that helps. Yes on the Enduro cups/bearing/spacer kit. 1 drive side spacer for a 73mm shell and clamp on front derailleur. No extra tools.
    Thank you. Seriously, much appreciated.