mtbr member

Another 9-speed 10-speed compatibility Q...

I've been playing with a few different gearing systems for a loaded touring bike - a Salsa Vaya with a Titec J-bar using XT dual control levers with a 12x36 9-speed cassette.

After trying a compact road crank, and a mt. crank converted to a double (26/40) I've settled on a double with a 28/42 and I just ordered a new Sram X.7 crankset (S1400) with the 28/42 rings.

My question is - are the rings on the new SRAM cranksets designed to work only with 10-speed chains or will I be able to use a 9-speed chain for the 9-speed cassette? I know that the road 10-speed cranks I've used (SRAM Rival) had no problems with a 9-speed chain so I assumed (perhaps a mistake...) that the 10-speed mtb rings would be fine with a 9-speed chain.

Also, have there been any reviews on these cranksets yet? Bang for buck they seem like a great way to go.

Thanks,
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The only significant difference between 9s and 10s chainrings is the separation between the inner and outer. Narrower chains can hang up when downshifting so most 10s cranksets narrow the gap.

When used with a wider chain, you'll be more likely to have the chain brush the outer when using the inner with outer cassette sprockets. That can easily be fixed by using thin washers to widen the gap, but don't worry about it unless it's an issue on your bike.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Thx for the reply. That makes sense I'll see how it ends up.
    Steve
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."