Thread: Am I an idiot

Got Trails?

Am I an idiot

Be honest, is it a tedious process or am I just an idiot.
    I installed the xt rear derailleur & had a lbs look at it to make sure everything was correct. All is good I just need to adjust it now. I began adjusting it & now I have a lot of slack on the cable & I cant get the shifter into 6,7,8 gears or into 1,2 gears. plus it shifts very sloppy goingup or down? Any suggesttions?

banned
    What directions are you following?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Got Trails?
    I know there shouldn't be any slack, that is what I am trying to figure out.I am using the adjustments at the shifter & the derailleur not the "H" & "L" screws.

As for directions I was just crap shooting it & it went hay wire from there.

banned
    So what directions are you using now?

Search this question on google and you will be on your way to being a master derailler adjuster.

"how do I adjust a rear derailleur?"

Got Trails?
    Ahhhhhhh. A sigh of relief. I went out last night & left the bike alone, read some articles on r/d adjustments & hit it again after work today. All I can say is why didn't I read the directions in the first place.

Thanks for the replies, it shifts smooth as ever & the chain has no noises anymore.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1
    Ahhhhhhh. A sigh of relief. I went out last night & left the bike alone, read some articles on r/d adjustments & hit it again after work today. All I can say is why didn't I read the directions in the first place.

Thanks for the replies, it shifts smooth as ever & the chain has no noises anymore.
    Nice job!

It is amazing what a little instruction can do.

You have to love the feeling of getting it handled AND in gaining decent knowledge about how the brute-force system of a derailler works. It is really easy with a little instruction, but seems impossible without it.

Got Trails?
    that sure is the truth. It is nice to know the bike & all the parts I have on it. I took it out tonight to test it & I was amzed at the quality of shifts with the XT compared to my old acera. PLus the chain makes the ride som much more smooth.

Members who have read this thread: 0