mtbr member

Aluminium Chainrings

Hey guys, I have a pair of XO cranks with pretty light aluminium chainrings, It's set up as a 2x10 with a bashguard. My large ring already got a bent tooth, I bent it back for a quick fix till I got a new chainring, and now after pulling it off for a deep cleaning with a new chainring, I noticed one of my teeth is missing and another tooth was bent and was causing shifting issues. Also there are scratches and such all over it from shifting.

Am I always going to have problems like this with aluminium chainrings? Should I 'downgrade' to a steel ring? Thanks for any advice!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    Hey guys, I have a pair of XO cranks with pretty light aluminium chainrings, It's set up as a 2x10 with a bashguard. My large ring already got a bent tooth, I bent it back for a quick fix till I got a new chainring, and now after pulling it off for a deep cleaning with a new chainring, I noticed one of my teeth is missing and another tooth was bent and was causing shifting issues. Also there are scratches and such all over it from shifting.

Am I always going to have problems like this with aluminium chainrings? Should I 'downgrade' to a steel ring? Thanks for any advice!
    Scratches are normal.

The tooth may not be missing but designed that way.

Bent teeth happen, mostly from poor shifting technique.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The tooth is gone, I was the one who installed the chainring and it definitely had all the teeth.

And there are definitely shifting issues going on. I feel the lifters on the large chainring don't catch the KMC chain that came stock on my bike like they should.

The scratches seem normal but it also makes me think that soon my chainring will be silver and not black, but I guess that's not a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone know if old/worn chainrings will ruin new chain and new cassette?