~I Ride In Circles ~

Alternative to Park Tool's DAG-1 Alignment tool?

Hey everyone.. Just as the title says. What are the alternatives to Park Tool's DAG-1 Alignment tool? I've looked around everywhere and it's close to $50 at just about every site. Sure.. it's a tool which will last forever but I would love to find a cheaper alternative if possible.

Any ideas out there?

For some reason I have no luck keeping my hanger straight and I need to get a tool like this our I end up seeing the LBS more than I like too...
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Hey everyone.. Just as the title says. What are the alternatives to Park Tool's DAG-1 Alignment tool? I've looked around everywhere and it's close to $50 at just about every site. Sure.. it's a tool which will last forever but I would love to find a cheaper alternative if possible.

Any ideas out there?

For some reason I have no luck keeping my hanger straight and I need to get a tool like this our I end up seeing the LBS more than I like too...
    Just get the Park. Not sure I have even seen another brand.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Blah! thats what I was afraid of hearing.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Blah! thats what I was afraid of hearing.
    I you need it as often as you say $50 is cheap.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I just ordered one myself, managed to bend up my hanger pretty good and can see myself doing it more in the future.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    yeah... I just hate ponying up that much for a tool. oh well..
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have had good luck lining the derailleur up by eye and then bending it to be parallel with the cassette. Certainly not accurate, and I may have just been been lucky, but it's worked 3 times for me in the last 6 months (2 bikes).

Tim

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    take the hanger off and tap it into shape with a hammer , it should be flat

Boyeeee
    I Home Depot'd my own with 10mm bolt, a nut, some washers, and a square tube (I used a square towel rod) for a total cost of about $4. It works OK with a ruler, but I'm sure the DAG works better.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    being a pro mechanic I think the dag-1 is the tool to get.

and $50 isn't really that much when hangers cost 25 and lbs probably charges 10-15$

I dunno, I have a few grand in tools so maybe I'm a bit biased but its all about doing it right to me.

I have seen one that a guy made home made in his machine shop and it worked just as well as the Park but probably took him at least a whole weekend plus he had a machine shop...

I could also see it being done BCBlur's way and you could get a bit more fancy but is it really worth your time? I think it would be a lot of work to replicate that for $50 but I don't know what time is worth to you.

No, that's not phonetic
    Handy tool if you really ride. Get one.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I highly recommend the DAG-1 as well. You might find that you can go for a little while without using it, but when you need it, you really do need it.

I also actually find that even with a brand new hanger, I can still improve the alignment a bit. I've found that with most frames, the mounting point for the hanger is not aligned as "dead on" as you might expect, so a little tweaking to the hanger can potentially help. The DAG-1 takes care of this.

Larry

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    I highly recommend the DAG-1 as well. You might find that you can go for a little while without using it, but when you need it, you really do need it.

I also actually find that even with a brand new hanger, I can still improve the alignment a bit. I've found that with most frames, the mounting point for the hanger is not aligned as "dead on" as you might expect, so a little tweaking to the hanger can potentially help. The DAG-1 takes care of this.

Larry
    yeah I agree, most new hangers I put on have to be trued and corrected to the frame

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Well when my new frame came into the shop the hanger was tweeked already from travel. It's def. still wacked out but we got it as straight as possible while I was in the shop. When I got the bike together the shifting was still off because we didn't get the hanger perfect... But this is always my luck with hangers.
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]