banned

Alternative m952 XTR chainrings?

My large ring is worn out and it's an expensive piece. Are there any viable alternatives that are less expensive?

mtbr member
    Probably not any more. Back when these cranks were new I bought a compact spider from a no-name company. I doubt they still make them. If they do any bike shop can get them through QBP.

PS, I'll take your worn big ring off your hands, I am looking for a spider for the two inner rings.
    This space for rent.

banned
    Sorry man, I use it as a bashring and to hold on my inner rings like you.

I have an LX spider that I could bolt on at anytime with rings on it, but I also like the gearing the xtr middle would offer me, plus larger outer, so I wouldn't want to change that if I can help it.

I heard avitar makes XTR rings, but I don't know anything about them and what the cost savings would be. I was also considering an XTR dh ring, but I am not sure if they allow inner rings to be bolted to them, as well as not knowing whether they'd even shift.

banned
    badda bump

Chrome Toaster
    You can install the old XT spider which was removable on the XTR arm and remove all the XTR rings. It will accept standard compact rings instead. Of course that means you need to replace all three rings then.

banned
    Yup, that's what I mentioned above, but I actually like the XTR rings and how they shift. I would like two setups:with the spider I have above and a bashring and a triple with the XTR rings.

Chrome Toaster
    If shifting performance is what you're concerned about, don't worry. XT rings have the same ramping design as the XTR so they will shift just as well.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    My large ring is worn out and it's an expensive piece. Are there any viable alternatives that are less expensive?

I have an extra brand new M952 big ring and middle ring if you're interested. $50 + ship for both.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    Well, I encountered some problems trying to bolt my LX spider onto my XTR crank arms. The lx spider is a lot thicker than the XTR chainring. This causes the lockring to not go down the entire way, thus an insecure joint. I actually messed the last couple of threads on the crank up a bit, but they are straight after running the lockring down and back.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Well, I encountered some problems trying to bolt my LX spider onto my XTR crank arms. The lx spider is a lot thicker than the XTR chainring. This causes the lockring to not go down the entire way, thus an insecure joint. I actually messed the last couple of threads on the crank up a bit, but they are straight after running the lockring down and back.
    LX won't work but M750 XT will. I'm pretty sure you could use a spider from the Hollowtech XT cranks (again, not LX) but it would require destroying the crank arm to find out since the Hollowtechs have pressed on spiders. If you can't find an old crank, you can order the spider from BTI through your LBS...

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...wSec=0&filter=
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    ^^^ good find!

They also list a 5 arm spider on that site, it may be the same as the 5 arm on my cranks. I mention it becasue it didn't fit all that well without some modification, I don't think the 4 arm spider will have that problem.

Do you happen to know approximate retail price on those?
    This space for rent.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead
    ^^^ good find!

They also list a 5 arm spider on that site, it may be the same as the 5 arm on my cranks. I mention it becasue it didn't fit all that well without some modification, I don't think the 4 arm spider will have that problem.

Do you happen to know approximate retail price on those?
    4 arm works great everytime. I think it's about $40 but check with your LBS.
    Long Live Long Rides