20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008

Alternative cable housing?

Hey,

I'm looking for a lightweight alternative to the normal shifting housing,and on a budget.
    I've found that old Magura hydraulic brake hose (HS brakes) weights 16gr./meter and it's cheap (around 10 online,2300mm)

Will it work? The inside diameter it's 2mm,so the cable fit's fine,and I guess the hydraulic hose it's rigid enough to handle the pressure from the cable.

Your thoughts on this,please.
    Gajas what?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozes View Post
    Hey,

I'm looking for a lightweight alternative to the normal shifting housing,and on a budget.
    I've found that old Magura hydraulic brake hose (HS brakes) weights 16gr./meter and it's cheap (around 10 online,2300mm)

Will it work? The inside diameter it's 2mm,so the cable fit's fine,and I guess the hydraulic hose it's rigid enough to handle the pressure from the cable.

Your thoughts on this,please.
    Don't do it. Not designed to work in compression.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008
    Thanks!

Being realistic,I guess it would twist and bend with the cable pressure...anyway,as it's a cheap experience maybe I'll try it anyway one of these days,and I'll come here to report.
    Gajas what?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozes View Post
    Thanks!

Being realistic,I guess it would twist and bend with the cable pressure...anyway,as it's a cheap experience maybe I'll try it anyway one of these days,and I'll come here to report.
    the inner liner of normal housings for cables wont be there, in a very short time it'll bind, wear thru, kink... what ever.. if it works at all it'll be short lived

I've never used them but both the alum "link" type housings are supposed the be lighter and stiffer as well as the fancy "thread" cables that are made from Kevlar or some such thing instead of Stainless steel,.. can't remember the name but search around, you'll find it.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

CS2
    mtbr member
    If you don't mind me asking, what would you consider inexpensive? Ebay always has sellers with bulk casing for some pretty good prices. Good luck on the search.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    the inner liner of normal housings for cables wont be there, in a very short time it'll bind, wear thru, kink... what ever.. if it works at all it'll be short lived

I've never used them but both the alum "link" type housings are supposed the be lighter and stiffer as well as the fancy "thread" cables that are made from Kevlar or some such thing instead of Stainless steel,.. can't remember the name but search around, you'll find it.
    Your thinking of Power Cordz out of Boise ID. Those things are temperamental and don't shave enough weight to justify the headaches they create.

The segmented housings are in the same boat. The only upside they have is flexibility. So it's nice for people that fly with bikes a lot. Other than that your better off with a more traditional housing.

20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for your opinions.

I classified as a weighweenie,but I'm always looking for different and cheaper ways to lighten the bike (without compromising durability or function).

Right now I have a set of Nokon shifting housing,which I bought at sale price (30) and it has been working just fine for the last 3 years. The solution for going lighter would be the Alligator Mini I-link housing,at about half the weight of the Nokon's,but I'm unless I find it at a very low price (normal price it's ~60) I'm not geting them.
    So I was looking for alternatives,and found these hydraulic lines...and here I am!

Thanks for your time!
    Gajas what?