mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Is it alright to mix Shimano and SRAM components?

Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinions before building out my Santa Cruz Heckler. I've purchased all my components but am having second thoughts about not having components from a single vendor. Before building the build, I'd like to know if I'm opening myself up to future problems by running a Shimano XT rear derailleur, Shimano LX front deraillerur, Shimano XT cassette, SRAM chain, and a Truvativ Stylo Team 3.3 crankset. I am thinking of returning the chain and crankset for Shimano components.

Should I stick with what I have, or go with a full Shimano drivetrain? Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    that combo sounds fine..the only non-compatible parts are sram x series shifters and rear derailleurs with the shimano ones because of different cable pull ratios for the rear derailleur........ other than that...choose your favorites from either...

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    I see no issues with that setup at all. Everything is compatible between the two except rear dérailleur and shifter.

Stick with it!
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

No problem

The combo you have is ok, i have shimano XT shadow, rear, xt front, xt cassette with Sram chain and Sram shifters, works great!! so i wouldn't worry about your setup!!

bi-winning
    The setup you have now is fine.

I have not noticed significant differences in performance between sram and shimano chains. the powerlink that comes with sram chains is really cool too.
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-05-2007 at 08:10 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback. I feel good about proceeding with the build. I did forget to add that I purchased XT shifters which should not be an issue with the XT derailleurs.

Much appreciated!

mtbr member

One correction

The other posters to this thread have given you good advice. One point to make -- SRAM does offer trigger shifters (the Rocket and Attack models) that are compatible with Shimano rear deraileurs. Their X7, X9, and X0 models only work with SRAM rear deraileurs. Also, one of the posters mentioned a Powerlink feature on the Shimano chains. My recollection is that Shimano chains use a pressed in pin to connect the chain. SRAM has a Quicklink that allows you to take the chain on and off with ease. Either the poster was confused, or I am out of touch with the latest in Shimano chains (haven't used one in 4 or 5 years).

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich
    The other posters to this thread have given you good advice. One point to make -- SRAM does offer trigger shifters (the Rocket and Attack models) that are compatible with Shimano rear deraileurs. Their X7, X9, and X0 models only work with SRAM rear deraileurs. Also, one of the posters mentioned a Powerlink feature on the Shimano chains. My recollection is that Shimano chains use a pressed in pin to connect the chain. SRAM has a Quicklink that allows you to take the chain on and off with ease. Either the poster was confused, or I am out of touch with the latest in Shimano chains (haven't used one in 4 or 5 years).
    Oops, i edited my post. you're right, it is sram chains that come with the powerlink, not shimano. typo!

the sram powerlink actually is compatible with shimano chains, you just need to buy it seperately.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

No good in rock gardens..
    That should be fine. I have X9 shifters and rear mech, XTR front mech, XTR chain, Stylo Team cranks and PG990 cluster - it's all been running fine for over a year now.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich
    yep..good point, that's why I made sure I said that the X series were the incompatible ones...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Oops, i edited my post. you're right, it is sram chains that come with the powerlink, not shimano. typo!

the sram powerlink actually is compatible with shimano chains, you just need to buy it seperately.
    The power link is compatible, but the weak link. I busted mine power link on an XT chain in a race. I'm back to pins or full SRAM chain.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.