rack admirer

All new drive train skips

I replaced the ORIGINAL LX 8 speed drivetrain on my 96 diamondback zetec hardtail winter beater/loaner bike last week as follows SRAM 850 cassette, PC 850 chain, Race Face middle ring (4 bolt 32). It holds perfectly locked in the biggest/first cassette cog, pretty good in #2, then skips progressively worse as I shift outbound, and wont extend to #8 without a little push on the stand.

It is hard for me to blame the R Derailler as it just does what it is told by the indexing shifter, however it is old and has lots of play. My grip shift is also old and has play but still clicks in. Cables are sort of old.

Since this is the back up bike, I have always slow to replace components. What can I do to eliminate more variables before buying shifters. I think that I just talked myself into cables.

Thanks a million for any input
    MCM # 57

Freshly Fujified

Cople of thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    I replaced the ORIGINAL LX 8 speed drivetrain on my 96 diamondback zetec hardtail winter beater/loaner bike last week as follows SRAM 850 cassette, PC 850 chain, Race Face middle ring (4 bolt 32). It holds perfectly locked in the biggest/first cassette cog, pretty good in #2, then skips progressively worse as I shift outbound, and wont extend to #8 without a little push on the stand.

It is hard for me to blame the R Derailler as it just does what it is told by the indexing shifter, however it is old and has lots of play. My grip shift is also old and has play but still clicks in. Cables are sort of old.

Since this is the back up bike, I have always slow to replace components. What can I do to eliminate more variables before buying shifters. I think that I just talked myself into cables.

Definitely replace the cables. Once you've replaced the cables your hand will pretty much be forced to start from square one in dialling in the derailleurs. A lot of times skipping is an indication that you need to fine tune the derailleur via barrel adjusters. Sometimes the bike shifts fine on the workstand, then skips while under a load. Dial it in on the stand, then take it for a ride around the neighborhood, making small adjustments as you go. This method has worked for me.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then you need to assess the play in the shifters and/or derailleur.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo

Check that your derailleur hanger isn't bent or twisted.