mtbr member
    Jan 2006

All Mountain crankset and BB, need some help

Im pretty new to mountain biking, been road biking for a couple years. I am building up a Banshee Scirocco, and can not figure out what crank to use. It is going to be an all mountain do everything bike, even some low level cross races in Wisconsin. I dont even know if i want a double or triple. I know for a fact that I want at least a double.

Anyways, I need some input on what BB and crank to get. I have heard good things about Race Face, and am interested in their products, but by no means loyal to them. I also was browsing the reviews of BBs, and it seems that they all have lots of problems, only a few got good reviews, and those I either cant find or are a lot more money than I want to spend on a BB.

If you need more information, please let me know. Everyone, make a suggestion, the more the better.

Thanks,
    Nate

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i'm looking to replace my BB and crank as well and i've noticed the same thing with the BB - kinda disconcerting...

i'm thinking about this combo:

Truvativ Giga Team DH 68/73 X 118mm

with a

'04 Race Face Evolve DH Crankset, 175mm, ISIS, with BASH/32/22

gl,
    al

Meh.
    most ISIS bbs last me 6 months at most. Get a set of cranks with the external bearings. The Shimano XT cranks are good, the Shimano LX/Hone cranks are good. The Raceface Deus and Atlas cranks are good. The Raceface bearings are better sealed than the Shimano ones.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by kikyomerc
    What about the Evolve DH crank? This is one that I was looking at, and the Diabolus crank, the Diabolus is a little more than I woudl like to spend, but the lifetime warrenty is nice.

Thanks,
    Nate
    Not really an all mountain crank. But they're burly cranks. The Evolves hold up just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What about the Evolve DH crank? This is one that I was looking at, and the Diabolus crank, the Diabolus is a little more than I woudl like to spend, but the lifetime warrenty is nice.

Thanks,
    Nate

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For someone who wants to do some low rank XC racing, but also want to do some downhill/all mountain/freeride type stuff, should I get a double or triple. Im pretty much trying to build this thing to do all kinds of riding.
    Thanks again,
    Nate

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by kikyomerc
    For someone who wants to do some low rank XC racing, but also want to do some downhill/all mountain/freeride type stuff, should I get a double or triple. Im pretty much trying to build this thing to do all kinds of riding.
    Thanks again,
    Nate
    You'll appreciate a double with a bash. If you really miss your big ring, you can always pull the bash off and throw on a big ring.