mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Are all chainrings created equal? (With the same BCD).

The chain rings on my Bontrager Carbon GXP cranks are toast. I happen to have a set of Race face rings sitting on the shelf for my Raceface evolve X-type cranks.

Think the rings work on those crank and be "happily married after?"

Or should I just trash the carbon crank and get another raceface? There're plenty of good deals going... so temping...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Should work fine....

as long as the BCD's match and both manufacturers use the crank spider to space the chain rings, which I'm pretty sure both Bontrager and Race Face do.

As for ditching the Carbon cranks and going with a new set of Race Face cranks, that's up to you. Personally I'm not a big fan of carbon as a crank arm material so I'm biased. But I will say this, if there's nothing wrong with the Bonty cranks, why bother? Your choice of course. I'd try the RF rings on the Bontrager crank first.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuyoshi
    The chain rings on my Bontrager Carbon GXP cranks are toast. I happen to have a set of Race face rings sitting on the shelf for my Raceface evolve X-type cranks.

Think the rings work on those crank and be "happily married after?"

Or should I just trash the carbon crank and get another raceface? There're plenty of good deals going... so temping...
    Raceface rings are primarily designed as replacements for standard cranks. So as long as the BCD matches, they'll work unless Bonty did something dumb.

wyrd bi ful rd
    You have the rings on your shelf so why not have a go to see if they will fit ...

20080724 chainring mounting MTBR FORUM.jpg

I know that certain chainring has the area arrowed as a taper rather than a square edge, so it depends really ... some chain rings has a slightly longer mounting arm as well ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just put Race Face gears on my Truvativ cranks and they work fine. You should be good with your Bonti's

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just put Shimano LX rings on a lower end Shimano crank, and I had to file off some material on the crank to make the 2nd gear fit properly. The ring had ridges that wouldn't let it seat completely. I know its not Race Face/Bontrager, but if you run into a similar problem, I would guess carbon isn't as easy to file on. Just something to watch out for. I didn't notice until I had the bolts tightened nearly all the way, and the ring was curved from bolt to bolt.