mtbr member
    Nov 2005

All Black Cranks that are light and stiff

What is the best XC/Freeride crankset/bb? I'm looking at a Yeti 575 build kits but would like an all black crankset but want something light and stiff. Anyone have any suggestions?

Freshly Fujified

I like my Holzfellers

Lightweight, stiff, black (except for the etched name) and if you search hard, inexpensive. The knock on them is that thay are ISIS drive, but I have yet to have issues.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Raceface Tubrine LP. The 2005 comes with silver rings but there's still the 2004 version out there with black rings. I've been running them for years and will continue to do so.

Check the reviews!!

mtbr member
    I've got Race Face Atlas cranks on my 575. It does have the silver rings, but they go with the silver cassette.....

Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second the Atlases. Light enough for xc, tough enough for DH/FR (saw lots at Whistler last season). Plus once you take of that lethal big ring and replace with a black bashguard, you have all black cranks.

mtbr member
    Shimano Hone would be my top pick for what you want. They are ALL BLACK (and sexy), significantly stiffer than RF Atlas, they are lighter than RF Atlas, they use a better crank arm attachment method and bearing preload design than the RF cranks, they are significantly cheaper than the Atlas, they have Shimano's perfect shifting.......need I say more!

Here is a picture to lust over!

There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Worth Waiting For? Gravity.

Do you have to have 3 rings? This Gravity Light pictured below probably won't be shipping until after Sea Otter, but the FSA branded version, Afterburner Xtreme, is available even though it isn't listed on the website. You can also get the polycarb guard in black. Chuky has one on her freeride bike and it is super-light but tougher than a typical XC crank because of the steel pedal inserts. A lot of the Mad Katz guys and other DH racers are running these instead of the heavier (but stronger) Gravity cranks.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by whizzif
    What is the best XC/Freeride crankset/bb? I'm looking at a Yeti 575 build kits but would like an all black crankset but want something light and stiff. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images