Insert witty comment here

Alivio to XT rapid rise

Hey guys, Does anyone know if a XT rapid rise rear derailluer can be fitted to work with 8 speed alivio groupset with integrated shifter/brakes? (They call them rapid fire and apparently they will work)

The mechanic at LBS says it can't be done and shimano have backed him up but i have heard it has been done by others and works well.

Any ideas?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syconate
    Hey guys, Does anyone know if a XT rapid rise rear derailluer can be fitted to work with 8 speed alivio groupset with integrated shifter/brakes? (They call them rapid fire and apparently they will work)

The mechanic at LBS says it can't be done and shimano have backed him up but i have heard it has been done by others and works well.

Any ideas?
    It will work since the amount of movement of the deralleur is determined by the shifter. HOWEVER, the action of the rapid rise derailleur is inverse as your current derailleur, meaning that your shifter will work in reverse fashion to how it used to: pushing higher gears with your thumb and lower ones with your index finger.

If you don't mind the reverse action, there is no problem.

Regards,
    Cris

Good job! Good luck then!

Thanks Cris. I know it will work in reverse and i want to give it a go. I just need to find a bike shop that will fit it.

Thanks

Nate

Cheers,
    Cris

Thanks Cris. I know it will work in reverse and i want to give it a go. I just need to find a bike shop that will fit it.

Thanks

Nate

Well after my LBS said it can't be done and shimano actually backed him up on that, i am pleased to say that my new XT rapid rse is fitted, tuned and works like a bloody charm.

I have only taken it for a brief run and my fittness is fairly average at he moment but it helped me to climb a track i have never got halfway up.

The reverse action of the shifters is a minor adjustment mentally but its all good.

Now I need to get fit so i can do it justice!!

Great news!

Well after my LBS said it can't be done and shimano actually backed him up on that, i am pleased to say that my new XT rapid rse is fitted, tuned and works like a bloody charm.

I have only taken it for a brief run and my fittness is fairly average at he moment but it helped me to climb a track i have never got halfway up.

The reverse action of the shifters is a minor adjustment mentally but its all good.

Now I need to get fit so i can do it justice!!
    Enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Cris

Just ride.

Cool-blue Rhythm That's all I use

I've used rapid-rise XTR with XT/XTR rapidfire (9sp) on all of my bikes since Shimano first offered rapid-rise in the XTR line many years ago. In fact I stocked up on XTR rapid-rise deraillers when it appeared Shimano was getting rid of it. I have never had any compatibility problems. The rapid rise suits my riding style by allowing me to flawlessly downshift under full power on tough technical climbs. I'm glad to see Shimano has brought rapidrise back.