mtbr member
    Sep 2005

alivio to Xt crank need info PLEASE !

Okay now i have a 2004 Alivio Crank, and the left arm is broke, but my bb is still like new (not taper sqare bb), my friend want to sell to me is new 2005 xt crank for 100$ (not external bearing) its an octalink.

I would like to know if it would fit on my bb ?
    My father talked to me about the chain line, that changing a crank is complicated because of the chain line... ? is it true ?
    If i keep a shimano crank the clearance will be the same right ?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    $100 for used XT cranks isn't necessarily a great "buddy deal" -- you can get a set of new LX for the same -- but that's neither here nor there.

You've got a choice of two chainlines with XT. A 118mm ES71 will get you a 50mm chainline, and a 113mm ES71 will get you a more conventional 47.5mm chainline.

That should be a square taper bottom bracket you have hiding behind your current Alivio crankset, so it'd need to be removed and won't work with the Octalink spline pattern.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    If you think you have an Octalink BB, than your current crank is not an Alivio. If you do have an Alivio crank than you should have a square taper BB and an 8 spd bike, which will involve a few other considerations when changing to a 9 spd crank.

Are you sure you have an Octalink or could it be an ISIS or square taper?

Shimano introduced the external BB XT cranks in 2004, so your friend doesn't have a 2005 XT crank without external BB. It may still be new, but it would actually be refered to as a 2003 or older XT M751 or M752.

If your friend does have a new XT M752 crank (with buldged arms) $100 isn't too bad of a price, if it is a new slightly older XT M751 crank (with straight arms) $100 is too much.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.