mtbr member
    Aug 2008

?Alivio? Will it work?

Hey,
    Due to financial constraints, I am going to use a 2 year old, lightly used Alivio rear der. and shifters on my Yelli Screamy. I have Sram X9 39/26 cranks and an XT front der., I had been running it "dinglespeed". I bought a 12-36 rear cassette, but the Shimano website lists the Alivio as having a 34 T max. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking of just not using the 36T cog until I can get a new rear der.

mtbr member
    Sin-man, I think you'll be fine. Shimano usually has conservative recommended ranges. Just pay attention to setting the b-screw - the distance between the top jockey wheel and the cassette. Sometimes people have to put the screw in from the other side as it's too short to get the distance correct.

If it works well I'd just ride with it until something breaks.

Tim

mtbr member
    Agree w wombat. Slap that thing on and see if it works.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Plays with tools
    You'll be fine. You will probably have to crank the B screw all the way in but I'd be surprised if it doesn't work well, for what it is anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Guys, when the parts come in, I'll post the results. If I can get a season out of it and upgrade to a Shadow plus SLX, I'll be happy.