mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Aligned derailleur hanger, now FD issues?

I got the DAG-2 in the mail yesterday and aligned my hanger, which was a straight forward process. The only issue I had was when taking the RD off the metal ring clip that holds a tab on popped off causing that tab to come off. I think I oriented the tab back correctly but feel free to confirm.

Then I had trouble getting the RD back on because I couldn't remember how that tab (I think for the b screw) was oriented around the hanger but I think it's on correctly, yes?

After getting the RD back on and doing some minor adjustments, I noticed the FD rubbing the chain pretty bad (all during the RD adjustment, to the point of being worried about rubbing a groove in the FD). I tried doing barrel adjustment on the FD to get the chain off but no luck, due to the cable not moving at all. I noticed I could turn the barrel adjuster clockwise our counter clockwise and the cable tension wouldn't loosen or tighten. What is the cause of this?

All sram x7 drivetrain.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by trevor_b; 03-28-2013 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you need to tighten the cable at the front derailleur anchor bolt. Shift into the small front chainring and make sure the derailleur is parallel to the chainring and the low limit screw is positioned right. Turn the barrel adjuster on the shifter nearly all the way in and then loosen the anchor bolt and pull the cable taught. This should give you room with the barrel adjuster to make adjustments either way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Photo of FD placement would help. The FD might be not lined up with the chain or twisted on the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Aligned derailleur hanger, now FD issues?

The weird thing is I haven't touched the FD other than slight barrel adjustments as the cables stretch/compress. The bike has less than 50 miles on it.

I say I hadn't touched it until yesterday, then I messed with it a good bit trying to get the chain to stop rubbing. I will get a pic of the FD after work today.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    The weird thing is I haven't touched the FD other than slight barrel adjustments as the cables stretch/compress. The bike has less than 50 miles on it.

I say I hadn't touched it until yesterday, then I messed with it a good bit trying to get the chain to stop rubbing. I will get a pic of the FD after work today.
    Take the bike back to your LBS for adjustment.

Aligning the hanger should not have changed anything on the front.

Need to take better pics, too. Out of focus and/or useless angles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common