Thread Killer

After market rear derailleur jockey wheels?

Is anyone running after market rear derailleur jockey wheels? Just want to see if there is an option to OEM for my X0 derailleur wheels because they seem to get worn very fast.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Started with XTR wheels they seemed to wear quickly

So I changed to some Enduros...they lasted better but were not really any lighter or faster....

So then I dug out the best of the old XTR's and put them back on....

full circle I guess.

Maromero
    I've been using Extralite's for a couple of years, lightweight, durable and they spin OK.

Thread Killer
    Thanks for the responses. How long are the ceramic wheels supposed to last, mine seem to get down to nubs in 3 months or so. I've seen CNC'd jockey wheels on ebay, any thoughts on these?
    AL 6061 Sram Black 11t Road mtb bike Jockey Wheel Rear Derailleur Pulley 2pcs | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluckhero View Post
    ...How long are the ceramic wheels supposed to last, mine seem to get down to nubs in 3 months or so...
    Wow, that sand in the Arizona desert must be pretty abrasive or you just ride a ton.

When it comes to derailleur pulleys, I don't think most of us can tell the difference from one to another unless the bearing was seized and is near lock up. I think any pulley that pleases your eye, pleases your wallet, and fits on your derailleur should work just fine.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Huckin' trails
    I usually clean the pulleys and bushings/bearings at the end of the season, and put them back using heavy wet chain lube. They spin alright and don't seem to catch crap as much as stock grease will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Plays with tools
    The plastic ones all seam to be about on the same level when it comes to wear. The aluminum pulleys out there wear better but are noisy. I've got some KCNC pullys on my road bike and they spine nice and smooth (ceramic) but they are the only loud part of an other wise silent DA drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've never seen the point of running anything but the stock jockies, when they wear out just replace em, I really don't get the reason for the ceramic aftermarket bearings type other than Bling Bling, which is pointless as you can't really see them, why are they any better? what is their raison d'etre? They aren't seeing any load to speak of (only the RD spring), i fail to see how they can make riding anymore efficient.
    I do run Enduro ceramic bearings in my BB and there is noticably less resistance / smoother than the stock Shimano ones.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Wow, that sand in the Arizona desert must be pretty abrasive or you just ride a ton.
    Probably a little of both.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluckhero View Post
    Probably a little of both.
    I had the same problem years back. After trying out just about any option out there, I ended up making some of a combination of stainless steel and POM.
    Those lasted long enough to end up falling for the change to 11 teeth.

As for the noise, it is not bound to be related to the material, but actually mostly to the shape of the teeth. The SS ones I made back then, were close to silent.
    A prototype I made prior to that of aluminum, was silent too.

As for the options out there now, I'd say you will be hard pressed to find some off the shelf, that lasts any longer than the stock version.
    I made some last year of a carbon multiwall nano tube based composite, which seems to last relatively long.
    If you're a bit handy, you can make your own.
    I'd be happy to give you a few tips in that regard.

Magura

mtbr member
    May 2004
    On a similar note. I just noticed that the teeth on my lower jockey wheel are almost completely gone. It's a Sram XO rear derailleur. Chain started to skip so I figured this was the issue. The problem is the bike is only 3 months old. I bought it from my local bike shop, took it in and they told me that it must be just normal wear. I don't buy the fact that I have owned my previous bike for 10 years and never replaced the jockey wheels, but these wore out in 3 months. I can't contact Sram about it because they only talk to dealers.
    The rear derailleur is straight, and the hanger is not bent (bike shop looked at the bike and confirmed everything I said, but didn't give me a reason why it wore so fast)
    I clean and lube my chain after ever long ride or at least once a week.

Any thoughts on why it wears so fast?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmansbro View Post
    On a similar note. I just noticed that the teeth on my lower jockey wheel are almost completely gone. It's a Sram XO rear derailleur. Chain started to skip so I figured this was the issue. The problem is the bike is only 3 months old. I bought it from my local bike shop, took it in and they told me that it must be just normal wear. I don't buy the fact that I have owned my previous bike for 10 years and never replaced the jockey wheels, but these wore out in 3 months. I can't contact Sram about it because they only talk to dealers.
    The rear derailleur is straight, and the hanger is not bent (bike shop looked at the bike and confirmed everything I said, but didn't give me a reason why it wore so fast)
    I clean and lube my chain after ever long ride or at least once a week.

Any thoughts on why it wears so fast?
    Just curious. Which conditions are you riding under, and how many km did they last?

Do you still have the worn down jockey wheel?

Magura

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Just curious. Which conditions are you riding under, and how many km did they last?

Do you still have the worn down jockey wheel?

Magura
    I've put about 650 miles on the bike, so a little over 1000 km. Conditions are mostly moon dust. Riding throughout Utah. Beginning of the year was dry, tacky conditions. Now it hasn't rained for awhile and starting to kick up a lot of dust. Only wet conditions are a handful of puddles this year. Never very much buildup of dust/dirt on the chain.

yeah, still have the wheel. Haven't replaced it yet, but I will this week

DIY all the way
    I've put about 650 miles on the bike, so a little over 1000 km. Conditions are mostly moon dust. Riding throughout Utah. Beginning of the year was dry, tacky conditions. Now it hasn't rained for awhile and starting to kick up a lot of dust. Only wet conditions are a handful of puddles this year. Never very much buildup of dust/dirt on the chain.

yeah, still have the wheel. Haven't replaced it yet, but I will this week
    Once you replace the wheel, please ask to take it home with you.

It would be interesting to find out which material it is made of.

To find out that, you will have to heat it up with a lighter, and tell what the smoke smells like (old trick of the trade of plastics).
    If you are willing to do so, I'd happily help you figure what type of plastics it's made of.
    Once we know, we can tell if it is because they have tried to use some less than adequate type, to save a penny.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bought a couple of KCNC jockey wheels for the XTR Shadow +. Shifting went to sh!t, it had trouble shifting to the smaller cogs. I have put the XTR upper one back on, shifts amazing now. Seems like the upper one has some float in it which allows better shifting? Anyway, only change the lower one.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Aluminum jockey wheels from Jersey cycles, similar to KCNC. They do not float like the stock Shimano, but with a perfectly tuned derailleur and a straight hanger, they shift great, nice and crisp. I am using a Deore Shadow, M592 on 9 speed, HG-61 cassette and KMC 9-speed chain. They are a bit more noisey than stock, but it's not huge.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    I bought a couple of KCNC jockey wheels for the XTR Shadow +. Shifting went to sh!t, it had trouble shifting to the smaller cogs. I have put the XTR upper one back on, shifts amazing now. Seems like the upper one has some float in it which allows better shifting? Anyway, only change the lower one.
    I think the upper one always need some float to be able to correct the alignment between the rd and cassette, mostly when you are in the extreme (low or high) because the chain angle affect the rd cage angle too and that's why a tight upper pulley won't shift great on the extreme cogs unless everything is damn straight.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    These Hershey pulleys have been going for about 18 years now. I'm not sure if they make these anymore, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After market rear derailleur jockey wheels?-xtr.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here is a pic of the Jockey wheels. The bottom one is the bottom Pulley Wheel, and the top is the upper one. Mind you these are on a three month old drivetrain and I keep the chain very clean. Both spin freely with little resistance. Don't mind the color on the bottom (flash from camera)

Huckin' trails
    Here is a pic of the Jockey wheels. The bottom one is the bottom Pulley Wheel, and the top is the upper one. Mind you these are on a three month old drivetrain and I keep the chain very clean. Both spin freely with little resistance. Don't mind the color on the bottom (flash from camera)
    A marshmallow would have been harder than this material...

DIY all the way
    Testing time?

Magura

mtbr member
    Running KCNC aluminium jockeys with ceramic bearings. So far so good (About a thousand km in them).
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Running token jockeys from eBay on both roadie and mtb. Great for roadie. Lots of maintenance on mtb. The bearings seized up once had to take them appart and clean. Seals are crap. But actual wheels are good for wear. My riding is mostly sand roots dirt and rocks. Replaced the chain and cassette 3 times and jockeys are still good.

~ B A D A S S ~
    ta da! Infinite life RD bearing!

My bearings last forever.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.