mtbr member

Advice on Shimano drivetrain upgrades?

Hey,

Wondering if I might be able to garner some suggestions or advice on upgrading the drivetrain on my 2011 Giant XTC1 29er. I'm currently running the stock setup - a mix of SLX and XT stuff, but have my eye on some of the new XT stuff and wondered which upgrades would make the most noticeable difference (or would be the best bang for my buck)?

I am already planning on picking up the new XT brakes, trail pedals and possibly a new XT crankset, but could use some advice as to which drive train components make the most sense to upgrade. I was thinking of going to the new XT shifters from the stock SLX, and an XT cassette. I dropped my big ring, and though my RD is XT from last year, I would be happy to pick up a new one with a medium cage.

Any thoughts? Does it make sense to start with shifters or would something else make more sense?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Hey,

Wondering if I might be able to garner some suggestions or advice on upgrading the drivetrain on my 2011 Giant XTC1 29er. I'm currently running the stock setup - a mix of SLX and XT stuff, but have my eye on some of the new XT stuff and wondered which upgrades would make the most noticeable difference (or would be the best bang for my buck)?

I am already planning on picking up the new XT brakes, trail pedals and possibly a new XT crankset, but could use some advice as to which drive train components make the most sense to upgrade. I was thinking of going to the new XT shifters from the stock SLX, and an XT cassette. I dropped my big ring, and though my RD is XT from last year, I would be happy to pick up a new one with a medium cage.

Any thoughts? Does it make sense to start with shifters or would something else make more sense?
    The gear you've got on there already is pretty darn good and I doubt you'd notice much of a difference in upgrading the drivetrain. If I were you I would be upgrading the wheelset and the the brakes first of all, that's where you'll notice the biggest changes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion - I've already upgraded wheels, tires, post, handlebars, grips. Thinking about brakes first, then drive train next, but if the consensus is that I won't notice much, then i'll save my money.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You should notice a difference with upgrading the brakes but everything else you probably won't.