mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Advice on New Crank

Hey Guys, couple questions:

I have to replace my crankset (due to being an idiot and semi-beginner). I have an 05 Iron Horse Warrior Expert with a FSA Gamma Drive crankset. I want something similar to this setup but maybe a bit better. I have never changed a crankset, but I know a little bit about them. I am going to have a mechanic install it, but I need to know what to buy first. I think I would like to stay with the Megaexo style BB that was used in the FSA, so I think I want to replace with something near the equivalent (barring suggestions about BB from you guys, since I am really kind of new to this). I have looked at the Race Face X-type crankset and I think I like that one and found it for a decent deal. My questions is if it will fit and what do I need to know (specifications wise) about my bike before I purchase.

I brought this up on the beginner forumn, but I thought I might get better info here. Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwarrior05
    I have to replace my crankset (due to being an idiot and semi-beginner). I have an 05 Iron Horse Warrior Expert with a FSA Gamma Drive crankset. I want something similar to this setup but maybe a bit better.
    What happened to the crankset which necessitates its replacement? Broken crankarm? Bent chainring? What?...

Depending upon the answer, it may be less expensive to simply fix or replace the broken part instead of purchasing an entirely new crankset.

MTB B'dos

Ditto.....

What happened???....
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    What happened to the crankset which necessitates its replacement? Broken crankarm? Bent chainring? What?...

Depending upon the answer, it may be less expensive to simply fix or replace the broken part instead of purchasing an entirely new crankset.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry, should have specified. The non-drive side pedal threads are shot, due to cross threading. I don't even think it can be tapped for new threads. So basically, I have not leftside pedal right now, and I don't think I can find just an arm for sale. Let me know what you guys think.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Most shops can replace the pedal threads with a helicoil. It is a common repair. Should cost you $10-20.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks man, I will look into that. Also, you think I could get a left crankarm from FSA or maybe they would warranty the crankarm, since the bike is only about a month old or so, maybe a couple months....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwarrior05
    Thanks man, I will look into that. Also, you think I could get a left crankarm from FSA or maybe they would warranty the crankarm, since the bike is only about a month old or so, maybe a couple months....
    It all starts at your LBS
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have seen single crank arms for sale before online.

FWIW i just got a set of race face deus XC cranks with the x-type external BB. should fit your bike if you have mega-exo BB right now. super light, stiff, and $200.