mtbr member
    May 2013

Advice Needed Rebuilding Bike

I bike about 10 miles a day and have been doing so for about 9 months. I have burned through half a dozen bikes from Wal-Mart and Target in that time. A few months ago I bought a low end Diamondback 26" Mountain bike. It's a great bike as far as the manufacturing of the frame goes. Nice and solid, sturdy, lightweight, it's great.

As far as all the rest of the stuff on it it is all junk. The shifters, front and rear derailleurs, free wheel, sprocket, callipers...all trashcan material which is where it all is right now.

I only use 2 gears, high gear and if the wind in blowing 30 mph the first gear down and that's it. I don't need 18 gears that never work anyway and are impossible to calibrate and even so constantly need to be calibrated.

90% of the time I am fighting against the callipers rubbing slightly against the rims or the chain being slightly off center for the gear I am using making me work twice as hard and getting zero momentum because of the f**king callipers/chain or whatever.

I took the front derailleur off a while ago because I never once needed to use it and the rear one went in the trash can today. The sprocket is slightly warped from bearing down while the rear derailleur skewed the chain off center to many times and slightly bent it.

So as long as the free wheel is the next thing to be put in the trash so is the sprocket.

I know virtually nothing about bikes and need a new set up. I would like to have 2 or 3 gears but if that means callipers for breaks forget it. I will go back to no gears and pedalling backwards for breaks. I want a single toothed sprocket in front but have no idea what size I need and what size for the back, and also what size chain?

Thanks for letting me vent.

mtbr member
    Let's see, 6 of the cheapest Wal-Mart bikes would be about $600 plus whatever you paid for that DB and you're into a pretty decent bike that you can actually ride. Penny wise and pound foolish?........ something like that.

You should buy a bus pass, or a 1937 Schwinn excelisor. Appropriate username btw.

mtbr member
    Or you could get a good set of wheels, quality bb and crankset and run that Diamondback single speed forever with minimal maintenance.