mtbr member
    Sep 2007

advice needed for rear deraileur

hey members need help to choose a rear deraileur for my 1x9 setup which includes a 36t up front and a 12/32 cassette in rear what is the best deraileur to use for this setup ,,thankz in advance, ps must work with a deore mega shifter , it's a hardtail, and equippeed with a sts e-13 system, + cost is not an issue...
    Last edited by danny costa; 11-19-2007 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    anybody !

Former Bike Wrench
    I run a 2x9 system with a 22/36 combined with a 11-34 cassette and a medium cage derailluer with no issues if that helps.

it's....
    Short cage is what most recommend for 1x9 setup, but if you already have long or med cage, they will work fine.

mtbr member
    SRAM X.9 mid or short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thankz members

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    SRAM X.9 mid or short.
    I'm not familiar with the mega shifter, but usually the SRAM 'X' deraileurs require "X"-model shifters, due to the 1:1 activation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I'm not familiar with the mega shifter, but usually the SRAM 'X' deraileurs require "X"-model shifters, due to the 1:1 activation.
    ah I must have skipped over the part about the mega shifter and went right to "cost not and issue"

Anyway, in that case the 08 XTR mid cage are a mighty fine rear D.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the 08 xtr rear deraileur mid cage is what i had in mind , i get cost for bike parts cause i help a lbs in spare time build and repair bikes.. thankz for the advise , xtr it is .....

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by danny costa
    the 08 xtr rear deraileur mid cage is what i had in mind , i get cost for bike parts cause i help a lbs in spare time build and repair bikes.. thankz for the advise , xtr it is .....
    Be careful about the top-normal & bottom-normal versions of the XTR deraileurs (one of them is called Rapid Rise - I forget which). I don't think your Deore Mega shifter can handle the Rapid Rise configuration. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

banned
    Sep 2005
    Beyond high/low normal, I'd be ashamed mating an XTR rear to a deore shifter.

It sure won't shift much better than what you've got now, since 95% of the shifting feel comes from the actual shifter.

mtbr member
    I use XT shadow with xtr shifters. Really smooth
    robdamanii is right. Shifters are also very important. If you go for a xt or xtr deraileur I would at least buy a lx shifter. There is also a big diffrence between the lx and xtr shifters. the xtr shifter gives a more confident shifting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i will be replacing right shifter as well to the new 2008 xt shifter , top end derailleur with a low level shifter ,won't happen guys , thankx again .

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Beyond high/low normal, I'd be ashamed mating an XTR rear to a deore shifter.

It sure won't shift much better than what you've got now, since 95% of the shifting feel comes from the actual shifter.
    The feel of the trigger comes from the shifter, but the shifting accuracy comes from the deraileur. I upgraded from Alivio to XT rear, but left the shifters as Alivio. The shifters feel just the same (which was always good enough for me), but the clickity-clack in the back is gone, which is what I was trying to accomplish. I was only looking to upgrade to LX in the back, but found a new XT for under $50 shipped on eBay.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hey guys just got a new xtr shifter + a 2008 xt shadow derailleur (model 772) mid cage ,top normal, my buddy at lbs took very good care of me on pricing, he gave me cost , thankz again danny....

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix
    Be careful about the top-normal & bottom-normal versions of the XTR deraileurs (one of them is called Rapid Rise - I forget which). I don't think your Deore Mega shifter can handle the Rapid Rise configuration. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Rapid-Rise is low-normal (if you break the derailleur cable it shifts to the biggest rear cog). There are no issues with using RR derailleurs with regular shifters. That's what I'm running on my 'Dale and it works great (XT shifter pods and XT RR rear derailleur).