mtbr member

advice installing dual control levers

im looking to install XT dual control (cable actuated) levers on my bike. Im pretty mechanically inclined but dont have alot of experience working on bikes. Im sure i can successfully mount and run the brake cables but Im not sure about running the derailleur cables. Any pointers from those more wrench inclined would be greatly appreciated. also any experience with dual control and mechanical disk brakes?

btw im running a XTR RR R derailleur (that’s a mouth full) which is already installed and setup just need to change the cables. do i only have to worry about cable tension and indexing as the limits are alread set? also B-screw?

any input greatly appreciated thanks elgordo

Chrome Toaster
    If the derailleur was alraedy set up right before you only need to set the cable tension. Set the levers so the clamp is about 1" (give or take a few mm depending on your hand size) inboard from the grips. You want to be able to operate them comfortably from the edge of the lever blade, not have them crammed in. Also set them at an angle of about 45-50 degrees.

mtbr member

thanks

Hecubus thanks for the info. one last question, what should i use to clean/lubricate the cable housing, tri-flow or some other lubricant? much thanks.

Pedalphile

DO NOT lube your cables!

Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    Hecubus thanks for the info. one last question, what should i use to clean/lubricate the cable housing, tri-flow or some other lubricant? much thanks.
    They come ready to go and adding lube will only attract dirt and dust causing pre-mature wear and un-needed friction.
    [SIZE=3]"A witty saying proves nothing."- Voltaire[/SIZE]

Eric

mtbr member

thanks

Hpilot thanks. i received the DC levers and while installing i realized there was no lube on the stock cables i was removing and surmised lube would not be advisable. anyway thanks for the input. im a bit of a newbie (total understatement) when it comes to working on my own bike but i figures i could tackle the DC lever installation. so far so good : ).