mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Advice on Chain Retention- Commencal HT24- no ISCG tabs

I purchased my son a Commencal HT 24". The front ring is a 32T single narrow wide type setup with 152mm cranks. This bike does not have ISCG tabs. He dropped the chain yesterday on a bumpy landing form a jump and had a little bit of a tank slapper. I also observed him rolling a small rock drop with bad technique and slamming the chain ring.

What is the best option for chain retention and possibly chain ring protection for this bike? He is not racing downhill but it looks like the XC setup is not going to work.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Not many options to choose from. What comes to mind is the MRP AMg with Bottom Bracket mount. However, it seems you would have to convert the bike into a outboard bearing system like Sram's GXP/Shimano from your current square taper if I read the spec sheet of the bike right. The MRP AMg sits between the external bearings and the frame with the external bearing holding it in place.
    Advice on Chain Retention- Commencal HT24-   no ISCG tabs-s-l1600.jpg

damned rocks...
    If your frame allow it you can use an ISCG adapter, like this one from clutch Clutch MTB Solutions.
    You have plenty of more offers from other brands, just do a google search if you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply's. I see what you guys are saying about the old style BB. I guess there is not enough lip to hold a BB mount design. Is there a square tapper external bearing BB?

I like that Clutch product but the down tube on this frame is big and the welding is with in 1/8" of the edge of the BB shell. Not sure it will work. I may call those guys.

Well I guess it I forget about chain ring protection, I could just put a front derailleur on and see if that is enough. The guide above only has control of chain above the ring

The rear derailleur is a Sram X5 and it seems to put a lot of tension on the chain, even in high gears. Everything I read is that the new narrow wide setups are much better so I am surprised he dropped the chain on this downhill. He claims he was not shifting when it occurred but IDK.

Thanks for your help