mtbr member
    May 2006

advantages of a shorter chainstay

Heya

I've never put much thought into hardtail frame designs etc (being a noob that just wants to ride), but my recent forays into a replacement hard tail frame has gotten me onto this topic. Can anyone out there give me a rundown of any advantages to having a shorter chainstay?

Funny that my FS bike and the HT frame I have been eyeballing share exactly the same chainstay length of 425mm (approx 16.7").

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    As related to the drivetrain? Short stays make it tougher to get good tire and chain ring clearance. Also makes the chain angles greater (bad).

Short stays are suppose to increase climbing traction but this is a wider range of lengths that work than most will admit. The length should be changed in relation to the rest of the frame geometry for the best overall weight distribution of the the rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    if the bike is going to be used solely as a singlespeed, short stays arent much of an issue. if it is going to be used as a geared bike, you need longer stays for chainring clearance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdirt223
    if the bike is going to be used solely as a singlespeed, short stays arent much of an issue. if it is going to be used as a geared bike, you need longer stays for chainring clearance.
    This is news to me
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As far as the drivetrain goes, assuming we are talking about geared bikes with derailleurs here, shorter chainstays are all bad news.
    They do have some advantages as far as bike handling goes, depending of course on what you're looking for- shorter stays mean that your butt is closer to being over the rear tire; that means you will have an easier time lifting the front wheel, which can be important in technical terrain.
    I ride a bike with 16" chainstays (16.75" is normal) and like the way the bike rides significantly better than the run-of-the-mill 16.75" stay bikes. By the way, my bike has a full 24 gears (I prefer 8-speed drivetrains) and I run a 2.2" rear tire; I have problems neither with shifting, nor with tire clearance.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    I had a Fisher Cake, 16.4" chainstays, and it sucked! The bike was a little too stretched out for me, so I put on a 90mm stem (105mm was stock). Originally it had a light front end but with the shorter stem the bike would wander and lift if I even thought about climbing. It also suffered from chain suck which they assured everyone they fixed in the 2005 line.