mtbr member
    Oct 2005

adjusting float on Time Atac XS?

Hi guys,

quick question here: how do I adjust the float on Time Atac XS pedals? I'm a noob to the clipless scene and already had 3 static falls. I'm hoping to loosen it so I can get out of the pedals easier. so how do i change the settings? thanks.

Freshly Fujified

I don't believe you can

Quote Originally Posted by norcallifter
    Hi guys,

quick question here: how do I adjust the float on Time Atac XS pedals? I'm a noob to the clipless scene and already had 3 static falls. I'm hoping to loosen it so I can get out of the pedals easier. so how do i change the settings? thanks.
    First, I believe you're talking about adjusting the tension, not float. The tension is what keeps the cleats secure into pedal by means of a spring mechanism on the pedal clip. I have a pair of Atac Aliums, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to adjust the tension. It could be different with the XS, I don't know. If you can't adjust tension, there could be two solutions for you. First is more time in the pedals. It takes a bit of getting used to the motion needed to clip out. Second is an issue I had which was the fact that the bolts on my cleats were loosening up, resulting an a few mm of lateral play in the cleats. The cleats need to be tightly secured to the shoe so that they move out of the pedal when clipping out. If they are loose, your foot may move, but the cleat stays in the pedal longer, because the cleat is not moving with your foot as a result of the play. Check the bolts on your cleats and make sure they are tightend down well. If not, I recommend taking the bolts out, dab a bit of blue loctite on them, the bolt them back down nice and tight.

I hope the explanation makes sense.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

Tension maybe, float - not on the pedal

There may be an adjustment screw on your ATAC XS pedals if they're recent. I haven't needed to adjust mine, but they're not my first set of clipless pedals either.

Keep up the practice. Almost everyone who rides clipless has had more than a few falls while learning, and some of us still topple over occasionally even after years of riding.

The cleats have two options for mounting, which will control float in a sense, but I can't recall which shoe the one with the star is supposed to be on for smaller release angles. The cleats will wear down a bit too, making entry/exit easier over time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks guys. I know my pedals has a screw which I believe is for tension adjustment. I'll go home and loosen that a bit. Other than that, I'll keep practicing.

mtbr member

Check the sole clearance too

I ride Eggbeater Mallet C's but I had probs with those until I noticed the sole of the shoe was binding. I ground down the "small" offending area and things are much better.

Put your shoe on, clip in and then remove your foot from the shoe. Look closely at the underside area of the shoe (sole) to be sure you have clearance to rotate and unclip. Other than that practice, practice, practice.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

asymmetryrtemmysa
    Apr 2004
    On the newer pedals, you will be able to adjust both float and tension.

Float is adjustable from either 13 degrees or 17 degrees based on which cleat is on which shoe.

Tension is adjustable on the new Atac XS models but not on alium or old Atac styles.

A previous suggestion regarding checking shoe interference is well worthwhile. Although this is more common with SPD type systems, it still occurs with Times.

If, even after going to 13 degrees float and minimizing tension, it is still difficult to get out of your pedals (i.e. you are a very small rider), you can (carefully) take a file to the rear of each cleat.

It is worthwhile to mention that Atac springs have, in the past, tended to loosen up after enough ride time.