mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Adding a Derailleur Hanger to a Single speed frame: how to

I did a few searches and came up pretty empty with a 'real' solution to add a derailleur hanger to a single speed frame. Tonight, I dug through my spare parts pile and worked out a solid and reliable solution, it took about 15 minutes and some *basic to my garage* tools. Hopefully it will come in handy next time someone Googles for an hour and comes up empty.

Specifics for this mod, but this may work on others:

Frame: Gary Fisher Rig 2006-2008ish model. (he wasn't sure)
    Hanger: Optima Baron Derailleur hanger #201 Linky: http://www.derailleurhanger.com/optima.htm
    *a Marin derailleur hanger may work also, I didn't have one handy, the Baron hanger was in the parts bin*

The parts:
    3) 3mm screws, but any #4ish screw will likely work.
    1) #38 drill bit (to fit my 3mm -.5 tpi tap)
    1) 3mm tap (again, any #4ish counter sink screw should work)
    1)derailleur hanger

The process: (I did this by hand, but a drill press would be handy to make sure you're perpendicular to the frame)
    With some vice grips or clamps (I used spring clamps) Set derailleur hanger over the dropout.
    Drill one hole (center preferably)
    Tap hole (use plenty of cutting fluid)
    deburr hole (a larger bit just hand twisted works well, or a razor blade also works)
    Screw the center screw in place, adjust hanger alignment as necessary.
    Remove one clamp, drill and tap another hole. set screw in place.
    Drill and tap last hole.
    Remove all screws, clamps and hangers
    deburr the two holes
    Clean up the mess

Use a dab of blue locktite and thread in the screws. Make sure screws do not protrude into the hub mounting surface, if they do get new screws or shorten the ones you have.

It should look like this when done:

From the rear, notice an offset to the hanger, this way the offset is correct:

This step is optional, but I like to make sure the dropouts are square any time I get a *new* frame.

Yup, looks good. (note, alignment tool isn't 'quite' set up correctly, but it's adequate for this check)
    Last edited by Brad Bedell; 12-20-2010 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like your ingenuity - have you checked whether the derailleur will reach far enough across to get to the low gears. It may well be that the position of the derailleur is further from the centreline of the dropouts than normal
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good point and Thanks! This is a huge caveat for someone attempting some variation of this mod. I added a photo (two up) from the rear view to show that the hanger is in the correct position. (Though, you can 'kinda' see it in the last photo, but only if you know what you're looking for.)

I'll be setting this one up with a 1x10, I'll update photos and how it works when that build happens. (Most likely this weekend)

-Brad

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Couldn't edit the first one. Another source for the hanger:
    http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...EL-HANGER.html

Late update, bike is built up with Sram x.7 10 speed. 11/36 cassette with x.9 rear derailleur and 33t front chain ring. I had a force road derailleur hanging around, but would entertain a decent chain keeper solution if anyone has suggestions. (I've since lowered the front)

Shifts all gears smooth, no issues what so ever. Rear derailleur cable wasn't too bad. I zip tied it to the rear brake cable, then used sick on cable guides with zip ties to run it down the right seat stay.

Last edited by Brad Bedell; 01-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Reviving an old thread here. If you have a frame with track dropouts, is there any reason why you could not just bolt a replacement derailuer hanger to the inside of the droupout?
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Reviving an old thread here. If you have a frame with track dropouts, is there any reason why you could not just bolt a replacement derailuer hanger to the inside of the droupout?
    There are chain tugs with integrated hangers for horizontal drop outs

Universal Cycles -- DMR 10mm Chain Tugs w/ Derailleur Hanger

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Thanks. I know those are out there. I have a few replacement hangers in the garage and wanted to know if I could just bolt one one. Cheaper than $24 plus shipping.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Yes, there is. If you bolt the hanger inside a dropout it was not designed for, there is no room for the hub. You have narrowed the spacing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common