Xtreme Lounger

9sp FD compatible with 8sp chain?

I've unexpectedly had to order a new frame that requires a 34.9 TP, TS front derailleur. I have a stockpile of 8 speed chains and cassettes and want to use them. Problem is, it's tough finding a new 8 speed derailleur - even ebay is thin these days. Has anyone had good performance using a 9sp FD with an 8sp chain? By good performance I don't mean it simply fits in the hole and moves the chain up and down. I know it can do that. I'm concerned about constant rubbing and grinding the sides of the cage down because of the wider chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

alignment is critical

I have two setups with 9sp XT FD and 8 speed Sram chain and Sram cassettes.

I have no problem with operation in the center chainring and full range of rear cassette. I believe you might run into problems with the outer most configurations, maybe lose more than 1 cog on the rear cassette with the inner and outer rings with a little bit of chain rub which I take out with a small tweak on the cable adjuster.

glenk

Xtreme Lounger

10-4 on the alignment

Quote Originally Posted by glenk
    I have no problem with operation in the center chainring and full range of rear cassette.
    That's basically what I was looking for. I run full range on middle ring a lot. I never come close to cross chaining the big or little rings, so they aren't an issue. I can appreciate how alignment would be critical though to get full range on middle ring and minimize rub on granny gear combo.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

drive train configuration

Oh by the way,
    I run a 9speed Deore crank with my Sram 8 speed hardware on the rear. I seem to have even better (less sensitivity to alignment) when I had an 8spd STX RC crank. I think the 8speed chain wanders around a bit more on the thinner 9spd chainring. I may not have perfectly aligned teeth on my Deore center ring and I get the the slightest of chain rub if I'm pounding on the peddles (maybe flex). I guess that's what you might expect from the lower end stamped steel chain ring.

good luck,
    glenk

rolling in the greens

it will be no problem

i ran a 9 sp fd on my old bike w/8 sp drivetrain with out a problem..you may have to bend it a little to keep it from rubbing the big ring...not much