meh....

94mm / 58mm BCD cranks, who makes/made them?

First, these are only 5 arm, right? I've seen mostly CODA and Race Face. I've seen the odd Shimano, but very few. I'm looking for a used set in 180mm length.

Monte
    Last edited by Monte; 10-10-2005 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    First, these are only 5 arm, right? I've seen mostly CODA and Race Face. I've seen the odd Shimano, but very few. I'm looking for a used set in 180mm length.

Monte
    Its Shimano's "Compact" drive, introduced in the early 90's. Very common and only recently superceded by their 64/104 compact drive.

What exactly are trying to pull off here? Re-using old rings onto longer cranks to save money? Crank/rings/BB are pretty much sold as a unit now days and it is usually much cheaper to buy the unit rather than individual parts.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Its Shimano's "Compact" drive, introduced in the early 90's. Very common and only recently superceded by their 64/104 compact drive.

What exactly are trying to pull off here? Re-using old rings onto longer cranks to save money? Crank/rings/BB are pretty much sold as a unit now days and it is usually much cheaper to buy the unit rather than individual parts.
    Building a 29" bike and I want to run 2 x 9 with 30t and 20t rings. I like 180mm arms.

Monte

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Very common and only recently superceded by their 64/104 compact drive.
    Only if you count 10 years ago as recent history. Although they still had 94/58 available for a couple years after, it hasn't been the Shimano standard since they introduced the 104/64 back in 1996. Since then, all of the major players in the industry have switched to 104/64 and the old 5 arms are becoming harder to find. Check eBay or maybe mail-order closeouts. 180s are very popular with the Singlespeed crowd. You might try the SS forum and maybe the Vintage forum as well.
    Long Live Long Rides

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte

Monte
    5 Arm, yuppers.

If I remember right...

Race Face
    Ritchey
    Kooka
    Syncros
    Middleburn
    Shimano

Currently of those... I think only Middleburn is still making 5 arm cranks, with ISIS or Square taper. It won't be cheap, but would fit the bill.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Only if you count 10 years ago as recent history. Although they still had 94/58 available for a couple years after, it hasn't been the Shimano standard since they introduced the 104/64 back in 1996. Since then, all of the major players in the industry have switched to 104/64 and the old 5 arms are becoming harder to find. Check eBay or maybe mail-order closeouts. 180s are very popular with the Singlespeed crowd. You might try the SS forum and maybe the Vintage forum as well.
    Ya i am old with a fuzzy memory. I was thinking Hollowtech 1 was the orignal push into in the 4-arm era around '00 and it seemed to me everywhere had 5-arm square taper stuff on sale for years afterwards and early Isis cranks still had 5 arms.

Just did a quick search and 5 arm cranks are out there but 180mm ones must be tough if they aren't even listed on ebay.