mtbr member
    Feb 2005

9-Speed SRAM PowerLink on 10-Speed SRAM Chain?

I have a brand new 10-speed SRAM chain that I'm hoping to use on a 9-speed 1x9 setup. I've searched and think the consensus is the 10-speed chain works fine with 9-speed components. But will a 9-speed powerlink work on that 10-speed chain? It installs fine, but seems a little loose side-to-side (which makes sense with the narrower chain). Wondering if it will work without issues. Looking for advice/experience. Thanks.

noob
    buy the proper link for $2
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    A 10sp chain only works because it is skinnier than the gaps on the 9sp cassette. That is also why a 9sp chain will not work on a 10sp cassette. The only difference between the two is 10sp is skinnier than 9sp.... therefore use the right link.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27 View Post
    A 10sp chain only works because it is skinnier than the gaps on the 9sp cassette. That is also why a 9sp chain will not work on a 10sp cassette. The only difference between the two is 10sp is skinnier than 9sp.... therefore use the right link.
    what he said
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Former Bike Wrench
    Loose link may spell disaster...as in coming apart under torque.

I wouldn't trust it...why not just use the 10 speed model that came with the chain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

thanks

Will definitely grab the correct link. This is a parts bin build, got tons of 9-speed stuff and ran across a new 10-speed chain that had been split (not at the master link). Just wondering if the stuff on-hand would work. Won't chance it. Thanks.