STINKY TOFU

9 speed shifters with 8 speed cassette advice

Let me preface with my wife has a new Giant Rincon, pretty basic but she really likes it except for the shifting which she finds clunky, especially after she played around with a Scott Ransom at one of the new bike shops that opened nearby. Also she cant stand the limitations of being not able to adjust for her reach. So a friend of mine gave me some fairly new XT brake levers and a set of 9 speed XT shifters. My wifes bike has an 8speed cassette and a really low end derailuer. I'm thinking about picking up an XT derailuer off ebay. I've seen them pretty cheap. But can I keep the original cassette, or do I need a 9 speed one? Also how well would this woprk with her stock front DR?
    Attached Images Attached Images

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    It might be made to work, but it will not be perfect. There's a bit of play designed into the pullies of shimano rear mechs. It might be enough. You'd have to adjust for the midrange of the cassette and hope that the top and bottom end of the cassette adjust correctly.

all that said, I would rather get a 9 speed cassette. At best the above will be finicky and won't be exact. At worst it won't work at all. The time and hassle won't be worth the marginal savings of not springing for the cassette.

Good luck with either route you take.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Former Bike Wrench
    The spacing difference between Shimano 8 speed and 9 speed is too much for the floating upper pulley to work with. If you want to go with the 9 speed shifters...you'll need a 9 speed cassette and chain...bare minimum. The rear Alivio derailluer is not that cheap...its actually a decent derailluer...I'd say use it till it wears out then replace with an XT. The front derailluer will work...but if your going to replace a derailluer here, that'd be the one to replace.

STINKY TOFU
    Oh thats not too bad then. At least I dont need to replace BOTH the rear DR and the cassette. I've seen 9speed cassettes pretty fair price on ebay and I'm sure I could get a decent 9speed chain for a fair price. Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    Oh thats not too bad then. At least I dont need to replace BOTH the rear DR and the cassette. I've seen 9speed cassettes pretty fair price on ebay and I'm sure I could get a decent 9speed chain for a fair price. Thanks for the advice.
    bit late, but you can use 9spd shifters on 8spd rear with the alternative cable routing... from sheldonbrown.com's page http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adj...html#alternate
    I've done this with road shifters w/ minimal fussing on setup, no problems since.

[SIZE=1][/SIZE]