mtbr member
    Apr 2008

9 speed drivetrain with an 8 speed frame?

I bought a Motobecane hardtail frame online and am planning on building it up with spare parts I have laying arund taken off of previous bikes. Right on the chainstays of the frame is printed "24 speed." I have almost everything needed for a 9 speed drivetrain to complete this frame and was wondering if anyone knows of any reasons this combination would not work or if you know of or percieve of any future problems? By the way, the rear wheel and cogset fits perfectly in the droupouts.

Former Bike Wrench
    There is no such thing as a 8 speed or 9 speed frame. A frame with a 135mm rear drop-out spacing will work with either.

~Disc~Golf~
    you will have to remove the "24 speed" decal and special order a "27 speed" decal
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not saying the frame is a certain speed. I'm saying the frame is set up for an 8 speed drivetrain.

Other 9 speed frames have a small space between the small cog and the frame, but this set up does not have much of a gap at all. I'm worried about the chain rubbing on the frame. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ha ha, I thought about that, I'll probably just settle for lizard skins.

Former Bike Wrench
    Other 9 speed frames have a small space between the small cog and the frame, but this set up does not have much of a gap at all. I'm worried about the chain rubbing on the frame. Any thoughts?
    Again, there is no such thing as a 9 speed frame. The distance between the small cog and the frame is dependent on the crankset and the bottom bracket spindle length if applicable.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Yes the 9 speed stuff works on a frame with 135mm rear spacing. And unless you have something like a downhill bike, a road bike, or something weird (like the old WTB's with 140mm spacing) you will be fine.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks JmZ, I'm glad there is no concern. I was mainly worried about chain rub.

And thanks for nothing mtnbiker72, I thought I clarified the speed issue and the distance between the small cog and the frame has practically nothing to do with the crankset or the bottom bracket spindle length.

~Disc~Golf~
    your space should remain the same, as cassettes are independent from the hubs.
    I think MTB72 was pointing out the only place space would possibly change. (as far as chain to frame distance goes)
    you might read his tag-line under his handle...
    Honestly... ahh I give up