thing that should not be

9 speed chainrings on a 10 speed crank, will it shift properly on the front?

Quick question guys, I just bought the 10 speed 2013 SLX group and was wondering if I swap the 38/26 chainrings out with 36/22 chainrings from a 2x9 crank or 32/22 chainrings from a 9 speed triple crank will I shift properly on the front? Will I have any chain issues?.

Basically the chainrings are my only 'non 10 speed' component'

The 36/22 chainrings in question are from a m810 saint crank.
    The 32/22 chainrings in question are the middle and inner rings from a 9 speed SLX crank.

I should think there will be no problems right?

Thanks guys

Plays with tools
    the difference in spacing for 10spd was in the rings, not the cranks.

May contain nuts
    I believe 9-sp rings generally work fine, even though the 10-sp rings are outboard offset a bit:

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

"Old Chainrings, New Chains
    There is a lot of confusion about the compatibility of narrow 9- and 10-speed chains with older cranksets. Shimano says you should replace the inner chainring(s) with specially designated 9- or 10-speed ones, but then they're all too eager to sell you stuff, whether you need it or not.
    These chainrings have the teeth slightly farther to the right than the older chainrings to work a little better with the narrower chains. There is no difference whatever in the crank spiders.

The manufacturers also are concerned about clueless users. The worst-case scenario is that you will be riding along with the bike in its highest gear (large front, small rear) and then for some bizarre reason shift down in front before downshifting in the back. (There is no shift pattern in which it is reasonable to shift in this sequence.) [Not with a 9- or 10-speed cassette, to be sure -- John Allen] If you do shift this way, there's a small chance that the chain might "skate" over the edges of the teeth for maybe half a turn.

In practice this "problem" almost never materializes. Many, many cyclists are using 9- and 10-speed chains with older cranksets and having no problems whatever."
    Last edited by Haggis; 03-17-2013 at 01:33 AM.

thing that should not be
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I believe 9-sp rings generally work fine, even though the 10-sp rings are outboard offset a bit:

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

"Old Chainrings, New Chains
    There is a lot of confusion about the compatibility of narrow 9- and 10-speed chains with older cranksets. Shimano says you should replace the inner chainring(s) with specially designated 9- or 10-speed ones, but then they're all too eager to sell you stuff, whether you need it or not.
    These chainrings have the teeth slightly farther to the right than the older chainrings to work a little better with the narrower chains. There is no difference whatever in the crank spiders.

The manufacturers also are concerned about clueless users. The worst-case scenario is that you will be riding along with the bike in its highest gear (large front, small rear) and then for some bizarre reason shift down in front before downshifting in the back. (There is no shift pattern in which it is reasonable to shift in this sequence.) [Not with a 9- or 10-speed cassette, to be sure -- John Allen] If you do shift this way, there's a small chance that the chain might "skate" over the edges of the teeth for maybe half a turn.

In practice this "problem" almost never materializes. Many, many cyclists are using 9- and 10-speed chains with older cranksets and having no problems whatever."
    Thanks Haggis

Ive been reading up on the topic as well and the general consensus seem to be that they'll work fine enough. I was more worried about the offset and chainlines and such. If only shimano made different sized chainrings or better still offer more chainring size options. I think a 38/26 on a 11-36 would be a touch too tall for me, hence the want to size down 2t on each chainring. If anything i'll post up my findings.

E Thirteen makes a set of ramped and pinned double shiftrings in 36/22 that I may explore as chainring options.

Icebiker
    I recently swapped out my 10 Speed 36T on my SRAM BB30 crank with a 9 speed Truvative 32T. Shifting works perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just converted an XT 2x10 speed to 20 x 32 chainrings, had to file on the crank a bit for chain clearance, works fine

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

9 speed chainrings on a 10 speed crank, will it shift properly on the front?

If it helps, I bought a set of raceface chainrings to convert my tallboy lt to a 2x10. When I got them they had "9 or 10 speed compatible" marked on the chainrings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The 32 Tooth front chainring I put on my XT 10 speed is a nine speed and it does shift fine