mtbr member
    Aug 2005

9 speed chainrings with 10 speed chain??????

I have a bike with a 2x10 drivetrain; however, I noticed that the chain rings are "9 speed" chain rings.

Does this matter?

I realize the 10 speed chain is a bit narrower. Will the 9 speed chain rings be too wide / cause excessive wear or lack of smoothness?

Or does it not really matter all that much?

Crankset is a Race Face SiXC...

thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    what is your cassette and derailleur?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    SRAM XO 10 speed for everything else except for the crankset/chainrings.

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm running a 9sp crank, chain rings and FD w/ 10sp chain and cassette (all Shimano) and it works fine so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1 View Post
    SRAM XO 10 speed for everything else except for the crankset/chainrings.

Matt
    Your rear DR will prolly need a 10 spd chain... I ran a 9spd XO and cassette and a S1400 2x10 up front... Used a 9 spd KMC chain.. Worked ok, but wouldve worked better with 9 spd chain rings up front. I would get 10spd chain rings if possible and a 10 spd chain.. When everything is in sync, it just runs smoother and shifts better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I run my 10 speed road bike with a 9 speed XT 44/32/22 crank when touring as it gives a better ratio than the 105 road crank. It shifts just as well as the 10 speed crank with a 10 speed chain and causes no noticeable additional wear. The internal chain plate spacing is exactly the same for 9 and 10 - it's only the plates are thinner, so the ring spacing is slightly narrower on the 10 speed crank.
    I really don't think you have anything to worry about, I would stick with the 10 speed chain though, you may get chain rub issues if the FD is a 10 speed and the wider 9 speed chain may start riding up the ridges on a 10 speed cassette.