mtbr member

9 speed chain and 8 speed cassette?

I thought a 9 speed chain and 8 speed cassette were compatible. I've recently replaced my chain using an older xtr cassette. The new chain is for 9 speeds and works well with my cassette except for the last cog in the rear, the 11tooth. I know you should replace the cassette along with a new chain but I don't want to have to buy a 9 speed cassette and der. and shifter. I'm thinking of just replacing the 11 tooth cog. Will this work? Anybody go down this road before?

Obsession? Its a Passion!
    9-speed chains are a few links longer than 8-speed chains, so the largest/largest cog combination is the main factor here. 9-speed chains are meant for the 34-rear and 44-front chain length to be long enough. Don't cross chain, and you should be OK. Overstretching the chain (read: snapping) could occur, just be sure not to cross-chain. The 9-speed chain is too long for your 11-tooth rear cog.
    Last edited by jrabikerepair; 03-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Bike to Work,
    Work to Live,
    Live to Bike.

Former Bike Wrench
    8 or 9 speed have nothing to do with the length of a chain...you size a chain correctly for any speed.

OP-what is the issue on the 11t, is it skipping? Are you by chance using a Connex chain with their connector. It has a upside and downside and will skip on an 11t if installed incorrectly.

featherweight clydesdale
    The 5, 6, 7, 8 speed chain (all same "link" size) has slightly wider links, won't work on 9 speed cassette. An 8 speed chain will work with 9 speed chainrings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabikerepair
    9-speed chains are a few links longer than 8-speed chains, so the largest/largest cog combination is the main factor here. 9-speed chains are meant for the 34-rear and 44-front chain length to be long enough. Don't cross chain, and you should be OK. Overstretching the chain (read: snapping) could occur, just be sure not to cross-chain. The 9-speed chain is too long for your 11-tooth rear cog.
    So you're a bike mechanic? Have you worked at allot of shops because I could swear I have talked to you many times.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by kapaso
    So you're a bike mechanic? Have you worked at allot of shops because I could swear I have talked to you many times.
    GOLD!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabikerepair

Master mechanic? OK...

Almost everything in your post was wrong.

Shimano chains come (usually) with 116 links, 8 speed or 9. SRAM is 114, whether 8 or 9.

They are meant to be cut to length... different chainstay lengths, different ring/cog combinations... VERY few chains I've installed (hundreds) didn't need to have a few links taken out.

Cross-chaining has very little to do with chain stretch.

To the OP: Do you use your 11 a lot? Do you have the old chain still?

If yes to the first, you can get replacement 11t cogs (I don't show 8 speed XTR cogs being available still, but most shops have a bunch of cannibalized cassette cogs, etc... If you bring the worn cog in and ask nicely, they might dig (or let you dig) and compare/measure for one that will work.

If yes to the second, can you measure the length? 12 full links should measure exactly 12 inches. 1/16 of stretch is where it ought to be replaced. If you replace your chains early, you can replace your cassette every 2-4 chains. If it's much over 12 1/8, it wears your cassette much faster and you're likely to need a new cassette with every chain.

By the way, Shimano still does a decent ($50 HG70) 8 speed 11-30 cassette, if you do need a new one and don't want to upgrade your whole drivetrain to 9.

Sorry for the long post, and if I come off as an a-hole to JRA, I just hate when people give such bad advice with an air of authority.

mtbr member
    When I replaced the chain, I measured the old one and replaced it with the same length. I've tried a couple of different things to no solution. I've tried replacing the 11t with another one from a different cassette, and it was even worse. I do use this ring quite often as I have converted this mtn. bike to be used solely on the street. This is a KMC chain and it does have a pin link but the skipping is when i apply any torque. I might just try to get a brand new 11 or 12t and see what happens. Being that the problem was worse with the other ring, i'm thinking the wear of either ring has something to do with this. Thanks for all the input.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead
    When I replaced the chain, I measured the old one and replaced it with the same length. I've tried a couple of different things to no solution. I've tried replacing the 11t with another one from a different cassette, and it was even worse. I do use this ring quite often as I have converted this mtn. bike to be used solely on the street. This is a KMC chain and it does have a pin link but the skipping is when i apply any torque. I might just try to get a brand new 11 or 12t and see what happens. Being that the problem was worse with the other ring, i'm thinking the wear of either ring has something to do with this. Thanks for all the input.
    Yup, your 11 is worn out too much to hold a new chain under torque.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Yup, your 11 is worn out too much to hold a new chain under torque.
    Yes, the KMC Quick Link is not asymmetric like the Connex...just get a new cog. You might look at chainging your gearing up at the crankset if you spend a lot of time in your 11t.

~Disc~Golf~
    any reason why the connex IS asymmetrical?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    any reason why the connex IS asymmetrical?
    Just to be German

Quote Originally Posted by Connex
    Our unique and sophisticated connector

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Just to be German
    It makes sense now! I'm German and a bit asymmetrical
    (Heidel)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Yes, the KMC Quick Link is not asymmetric like the Connex...just get a new cog. You might look at chainging your gearing up at the crankset if you spend a lot of time in your 11t.
    i guess thats pretty obvious but i never thought of that. i should go to a bigger ring up front. thanks for all the advice.