XCdude

9 speed to 8 speed conversion

ok I tried the search but not enough information. I have a full 9 speed bike, I want 8 speed I know that cassette and chain need to be 8, but what I really want to know is about the shift pods, since mine are the newer rapid fire pull on the trigger for lighter. I know I read this some where but I canĀ“t find it. I want some who has done it, thanks

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

You've Pretty Much Got It

You need to change the cassette and the right hand/rear shifter.
    You don't have to switch the chain but its probably a good idea (to prevent premature wear) since you will be using new cassette cogs.

Yay for 8 speed!

XCdude

Well that was fast, I have a 9 speed thats about 130

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    You need to change the cassette and the right hand/rear shifter.
    You don't have to switch the chain but its probably a good idea (to prevent premature wear) since you will be using new cassette cogs.

Yay for 8 speed!
    grams heavier than a 8 speed using the same 11-32 gearing, and started to think was the reason to have something thats heavier and at the same time ends with the same gearing also 9 speed chains seem to break a lot, thats just my observation lots of us train together. My son races with a 11-28 8 speed and he calls all of us sissies hahaha

mtbr member
    I'm not switching over from a 9-8 but I'm actually building up an 8. I'm not too familiar w/ teeth count 11-28 vs 12-32?

I do some hill climbing and mostly do flats. I'm not sure what size to get? I don't want to have shifing problems.

So my question is what cassette size would be best?

Thanks,

Yeti

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeti
    I'm not switching over from a 9-8 but I'm actually building up an 8. I'm not too familiar w/ teeth count 11-28 vs 12-32?

I do some hill climbing and mostly do flats. I'm not sure what size to get? I don't want to have shifing problems.

So my question is what cassette size would be best?

Thanks,

Yeti
    Depends on where you live, how in shape you are, how often you spin out, how steep are the hills you climb, and what size granny gear you run.

I'm in the Midwest and most of the wheels I've got are 11-28, with one 11-30. If I need more range, I figure I'll get one of the Boone 20 tooth front rings to replace my stock 22 tooth ring.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Depends on where you live, how in shape you are, how often you spin out, how steep are the hills you climb, and what size granny gear you run.

I'm in the Midwest and most of the wheels I've got are 11-28, with one 11-30. If I need more range, I figure I'll get one of the Boone 20 tooth front rings to replace my stock 22 tooth ring.

Good luck,

JmZ

Thanks Jm

I live in ABQ, NM and don't plan to do too much climbing on this bike. It's a 96' Cannondale M200LE. I'll more then likely use it for road travel and light trail riding.

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is if I get one cassette over the other will I have any problems w/ gear changes.

I guess going w/ the standard size would be the best thing?

Thanks!

Yeti

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

9 or 8

I've been on 8 speed since forever (12-32 cassette). I just bought a bike that has 9 speed with an 11-34 in back. I find the gear spacing on the 8 speed more to my liking (32-28-24 etc) because the 34 is just too low (more spinning than forward momentum) and the 30 is nice but I like the 32 for top granny, and the 26 is then too high. Picky picky. Cambiabike, as of yesterday, had XT 8 speed shifters for $48. If I didn't already own a new pair of these in a box I'd pick up another set, but I also have a pair of new XTR 8 speed brake/shift levers in a box waiting for another build! Pick up these shifters, an 8 speed chain, a 12-32 XTR cassette and enjoy 8 speed. Sorry, I don't remember if you have 9 speed integrated brake/shift levers (which would mean buying maybe a LX brake/shift combo) but bottom line is I like 8 speed better. Better cog spacing and lighter weight. OK, I guess you can get a 11-32 9 speed but then you still have a heavier cassette and who needs tighter cog spacing in the middle gears anyway?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where I can get a Sram X.7 8 speed shifter online? It's listed on Sram's website but I haven't found one yet.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cambria bike has them for 75.00 a set. If you just need one, you can go to jensonusa special order catalog - 42.00. A little pricey since you can buy 9 speed sets almost anywhere for 49.00.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I went to 8 speed gripshift

Over X-mas I converted from XT 9 speed to SRAM x9 8 speed grip shift. So far it's been flawless. No skips, no ghost shifting. The only knock on gripshift is when your hands get sweaty, but the up side is being able to drop the perfect number of gears at the start and during a climb. I got the shifter, x9 derailer, chain, cassette, and a shifter cable from universalcycles dot com for $169.00

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think the biggest reason for wanting an 11-34 is that you can stay in your middle ring longer with the 34 tooth cog as a bail out gear.

The main reason I upgraded/downgraded from 8 speed to 9 speed was for the 11-34 cassette. If I could have found a quality 34 tooth cassette in 8 speed cassette I wouldn't have upgraded to 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn595
    I think the biggest reason for wanting an 11-34 is that you can stay in your middle ring longer with the 34 tooth cog as a bail out gear.

The main reason I upgraded/downgraded from 8 speed to 9 speed was for the 11-34 cassette. If I could have found a quality 34 tooth cassette in 8 speed cassette I wouldn't have upgraded to 9 speed.
    I solved this same problem a little differently, and cheaper. I still use 5 arm compact cranks and switched my 22-32 rings for 20-30 tooth ones. this combination gives almast the smae exact gearing as an 11-34 and 22-32 setup.

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I solved this same problem a little differently, and cheaper. I still use 5 arm compact cranks and switched my 22-32 rings for 20-30 tooth ones. this combination gives almast the smae exact gearing as an 11-34 and 22-32 setup.

Mark
    I was primarly interested in getting the 11-34 cassette so I could get rid of the granny ring all together. My bike is set up as a 1x9 and the 11-34 has the widest range of gearing I could find. Creative idea you had there - it just wasn't want I was going for.

I Love my Rize

Go Sram

I would go with the Sram PG850 cassette in 11-32 the spacing is 11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32 I think the spacing is really good and you would like it alot, works really well with the 44-32-22 fronr chainring setup. and go with the PC 68 8 speed sram chain and your won't believe how smooth your bike will shift under any load situation.

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    I would go with the Sram PG850 cassette in 11-32 the spacing is 11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32 I think the spacing is really good and you would like it alot
    The gear spacing is crap. 6 and 5 teeth jumps? Thats 23% increments in required power. The worst spacing I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    using a 9spd chain on a 8spd cassete is no problem, but if you have a 9spd crank and front der. you have to use a 9spd chain.
    furibio

mtbr member
    well. you can move the cable on the rear derailleur to increase cable pull per click, so you can keep the shifter pods.

i dont have a link, but its on sheldonbrown , and im sure someone has it..

I Love my Rize
    Quote Originally Posted by furibio
    using a 9spd chain on a 8spd cassete is no problem, but if you have a 9spd crank and front der. you have to use a 9spd chain.

******** I run a 8 sp chain and cassette with a 9 sp crank and derailleur as smooth as GLASS
    YOU ARE A DUMB ASS

Who is John Galt?
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn595

I switched from 8 to 9 speed for this very reason, not to mention how much cheaper (and easier to find) 9 speed stuff is. I rode a 11-32 8 speed for a while and found myself shifting alot more up down with much harder shifts. With the 11-34 9 speed I'm usually in the middle of the cassette unless I am going down a hill then on near the bottom. As of a few weeks with the 9 speed I haven't spent alot of time in the high end of the cassette (never spent alot of time in the top of the 8 speed), in fact this weekend was my first extended period climbing on sandy root filled dirt and I gotta say I loved the high end of the new cassette. I charged up things that previous I had to drop down into the granny gear in front.

I run 170 cranks as well....both with the 8 and 9 speed.

Though part of the switch was from a mid range Truvativ crank/truvativ BB to a Ritchey WCS crank/ FSA BB which is ALOT stiffer and lays the power down much better. So i credit the crankset with alot of this.

Also I went form a old Shimano 8 speed drivetrain to a SRAM x.9/970cassette/970chain drivetrain.....

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    So, if I understand correctly, previous generation LX rear derailleurs (M570) are 8 speed compatible, right?

mtbr member
    CN-HG73 + FC-M572 + FD-M570 works for me me, with a CN-IG51 it does't work. Have a look a the front compatibility guide at shimano
    you are using a sram chain, good it works for you.

aweonao!
    furibio

Time is not a road.
    I'm not sure if they've adapted the spacing of new derailleurs to accomodate 9 speed chains, but the distance the der moves is the same regardless of number of cogs.

banned
    8spd cassette cogs are spaced further apart than 9spd.

8spd shifters pull more than 9 spd shifters.

You need 8 spd shifters and 8 spd cassette.

9spd derailleurs are 8 spd compatible.

RIP Friendgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by slyboots
    The gear spacing is crap. 6 and 5 teeth jumps? Thats 23% increments in required power. The worst spacing I've ever seen.

I've never understood why Sram chose that ridiculous spacing for the 32-11. The 30-11 is spot on though.