ttt
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

9 spd chain on 8 spd crank

I'm just about to change my chains and I'm wondering if I am going to have problems if I use a 9 spd chain instead of 8 spd. I have a 9 speed front derailleur and I get a bit of chain rub using an 8 speed chain.

I've read that 9spd chain is ok on the 8 spd cassette but not sure about 8 spd cranks.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Shimano recommends against it, but I've had no trouble in the past running a 9 speed chain on 7 speed chainrings, which should be identical to 8. I think they're worried about the slightly narrower chain getting jammed inbetween rings, but if you've got chain pickup ramps I imagine this wouldn't be a problem as it might be on non-ramped rings.

mtbr member
    May 2004

9 spped chain on 8 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ttt
    I'm just about to change my chains and I'm wondering if I am going to have problems if I use a 9 spd chain instead of 8 spd. I have a 9 speed front derailleur and I get a bit of chain rub using an 8 speed chain.

I've read that 9spd chain is ok on the 8 spd cassette but not sure about 8 spd cranks.
    I've run a 9 speed chain on my 8 speed system for 2 years now. Race Face 8/9 speed on front, XTR 8 speed rear cassette. When I was in local bike shop recently I mentioned this and I thought I was going to have to dial 911 as the

mtbr member
    May 2004

computer glitch...

Quote Originally Posted by browns110
    I've run a 9 speed chain on my 8 speed system for 2 years now. Race Face 8/9 speed on front, XTR 8 speed rear cassette. When I was in local bike shop recently I mentioned this and I thought I was going to have to dial 911 as the
    the local bike tech almost had apoplexy. Talked about all the horrible things that were going to happen to me. I figured they would have happened by now. Shifts fine, XTR cassette looks good after 2 years. Replace the chain if it stretches 1/16-1/8 inches. I listen to these bike guys and decided a long time ago that they don't know much more than me.