mtbr member
    Aug 2004

9 spd on a 7 spd frame question

I bought an old GT palomar bike and want to strip it for the frame (it's a triple triangle .. 97 or 99 frame.. and I wanted a strong Cro Mo frame). The frame was built for a 7 speed rear cog set and I want to put new wheelsets on that will accomodate a 9 speed cassette. My LBS guy says that the 8, 9 and 10's are all the same size .. but they are bigger than the 7 that is currently on the bike. He says that he 'can' spread the triangle and try to fit in a 9 sp cassette .. but I want to make sure this is possible. I have already purchased lots of $$ in parts to build this frame up ... now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just bought a new frame .. or a new bike (geeez I'm already at $650 in parts plus $100 for the old frame/bike). Is there a book .... or a web site where I can find out what specs will fit/work with this older frame? Or perhaps someone here might help? This is my first attempt to build up a bike .. I'm pretty new .... I could really use some help. I live in a rural area ... and the LBS guys just don't seem to know .. don't have the time ... or don't care.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Response #1

i have once pondered the same exact question: can you retrofit a 9 speed drivetrain on to a 7 speed bike. I have also recieved the same answer, only i can help you out a tad bit. The spacing on 8, 9, or 10 is 135 mm,where as a 7 speed is 130 mm.

Tracking up the place

response 2

Type in 7 spd to 9spd in the search most of your answers will be found in there.

7 speed to 9 speed??
    where do i get a new wheel?
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Not True

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The spacing on 8, 9, or 10 is 135 mm,where as a 7 speed is 130 mm.
    FIrst the 130 or 135mm spacing question is irrelavant because all road hubs are 130mm and in Shimano's case they are no different than thier MTB hubs so if you did happen to have a 130mm spaced frame you just get a rear wheel built with a Ultegre hub if you want XT quality or go up or down from there.

Second, most 7spd MTB's were spaced at 135mm. Every MTB I have owned since 1992 has been 135mm rear spaced. The GT mentioned would have 135mm drouputs.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    most 7spd MTB's were spaced at 135mm. Every MTB I have owned since 1992 has been 135mm rear spaced. The GT mentioned would have 135mm drouputs.
    BINGO! I agree, this should be the case with the GT. If in doubt, measure.

Getting the correct freehub or 9-speed compatible wheelset should be your only real hangup.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have two six speeds running at 9spd

I modified two six speed bikes to run at 8 or 9 speed. The 130MM hub width is not much of a problem on STEEL frames. It's just a 5mm stretch and I had no problems doing it.

Not a very cost efficient project but it was a good learning process.

glenk