mtbr member
    Apr 2007

9-to-10 XTR upgrade

My XTR gear (on a Cannondale Rize 2010) is falling apart. I am contemplating an upgrade from 9-speed to 10-speed. Can somebody give me some advice whether this is feasible and/or recommended? As far as I can see, I would need the following:

Shimano XTR Gear Cable Set PTFE
    Pair - Black - 3000mm Outer
    Is that really all I need? I mean, it's quite a lot of expensive materials - but is it all? I believe that I wouldn't need to replace the left hand shifter (for the front derailleur), is that correct? Of course I need 10-speed chains and new cables as well.

My worst nightmare would be to buy 1K$ worth of materials and then find out that it cannot be mounted onto my bike! This is the first time that I perform such major surgery on a bike, hence any advice would be highly appreciated!

Plays with tools
    You don't need a new FD. I'm running a 9spd FD with 980 10spd shifters and it's spot on. I am running it with a 9spd crank and rings though. It won't make a difference though. Cassette, chain, rear shifter need to match. Other than that you can replace what's worn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks - that's very useful. The front mech is falling apart and needs to be replaced anyway - so I thought of going for the 10-speed version.

However, my XT (not XTR!) crank and rings (9-speed) are still jolly fine, and I wouldn't want replace them yet. It's good to know that this is doable. Come to think of it, do different rings and crank for 9 vs. 10-speed XTR exist at all? By looking at the chainreaction catalogue, I couldn't find any variants specific to 9 vs. 10.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My next question is: Shimano 10-speed cassettes come as 11-34 or 11-36. I do not know what that means - is it the number of teeth? And which one would I need? In case either cassettes does it for me, what are the pros and cons?

Plays with tools
    The difference between 9 and 10 was in the rings, dimensionally the cranks are the same. But the doubles get different BCD's.

Yes those numbers refer to tooth count. If your current range is fine with you, match it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Being at it, I am considering replacing the crankset as well. The XTR crankset is pricey but looks really yummy!

However, the crankset comes in the option of 165/170/175/180mm, and I do not understand the implications. As I wrote before, my bike is a Cannondale Rize, currently with an XT front and an XTR rear mixed 3x9 drivetrain. Any help and guidance would be highly appreciated!

Plays with tools
    Look at the back side of your xt cranks near the pedal and they will have the length stamped into them. Easy way anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks, I found it. It's 175mm. Am I right in assuming that 180mm would give me a bit more leverage for pushing up steep hills (I am tall and have long legs)? It would also reduce ground clearance by 5mm, but that's something I could live with. Correct?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanks - that's very useful. The front mech is falling apart and needs to be replaced anyway - so I thought of going for the 10-speed version.

However, my XT (not XTR!) crank and rings (9-speed) are still jolly fine, and I wouldn't want replace them yet. It's good to know that this is doable. Come to think of it, do different rings and crank for 9 vs. 10-speed XTR exist at all? By looking at the chainreaction catalogue, I couldn't find any variants specific to 9 vs. 10.
    Thr rings are slightly different but the crank tabs are the same. However non XTR rings or from a different XTR version will look odd as they won't integrate aesthetically.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Thr rings are slightly different but the crank tabs are the same. However non XTR rings or from a different XTR version will look odd as they won't integrate aesthetically.
    Thanks - I came to the same conclusion, and will spring a new crank! At least I will know what I am earning my money for. Would you rather advise against going from 175 to 180mm with my Canondale Rize? I am in Switzerland and we have some real steep hills around here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have switched between 170, 172.5 and 175. Slight difference. 180 might be worth trying if you have really long legs. 180 is as long as they come other than custom. Are your legs that long?