Thread: 9 or 10 speed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

9 or 10 speed?

Hi,

I currently have a 1x10 speed setup with the following components.
    SRAM 10 Speed Cassette
    SRAM XO 10 speed medium length deraileur
    SRAM XO 10 speed shifter

Everything is setup correctly, however I find the gears will sometime skip or jump a bit when going over rough sections (not when changing gears). I will also sometimes get a nice crunch sound when this happens as it settles back into gear.

My question is, will a 9 speed setup sit and hold in a gear better? Seeing as the cogs are slightly further apart, the chain will have to move more before the next cog can interfere with it? Is this correct?

Besides losing a gear, are there any other advantages/disadvantages of a 9 speed setup over a 10 speed setup?

Finally, If I do decide to change to a 1x9, what is the best cassette and deraileur that will hold gears the best under rough conditions?

Thanks for the help.
    Benno

mtbr member
    The Shimano Shadow plus derailleurs are meant to be good.
    Tech Minute: Shimano's Shadow Plus And Why We Like It So Much

To go 9 speed you will need all "new" 9 speed parts.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Tool
    No. Something is not right with your drivetrain and it has nothing to do with the number of gears you have.

10-speed chains are also narrower than 9-speed, so the spacing would not affect such a problem.

Make sure you chain is as short as it can safely be, and also that the b-screw on the derailleur is set properly....if the b-screw is in too far, it can cause the drivetrain to skip around a bit, but the most likely culprit is the chain.

Also, consider the chianline and whether it is perhaps too far to one side.

How many miles on this drivetrain?

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys,

I have previously adjusted the chainline as the front chainring used to line up more with the smaller cogs on the cassette. It is now more centered. I have also checked the chain length and it is as per the SRAM recommendations.

The whole drivetrain is pretty much only a few months old and I haven't been riding much.

I may try backing off the b screw a little to see if this helps.

If that doesn't do the trick, I am tempted to switch to a Shimano Saint M820 deraileur and shifter. I'm assuming I this will still be fine with the SRAM chain and cassette?

Basically, I just want something that I am confident with under hard pedalling. I want it to stay firmly in gear at all times.

Cheers
    Benno

Tool
    I'm not familiar with Sram's chain sizing method. I would cross-check it with Park Tool's.

In my experience, the shorter the chain, the better. The chain only needs to have a slight s-curve thru the derailleur when on the largest cog (assuming fully compressed rear suspension if not a HT).
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, thanks for your help.
    I might give a Shimano Saint M820 deraileur and shifter a go.

Last time I looked at the chain I thought I'd be pushing it if I took another link out.

Cheers
    Benno

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What gear are you in when this happens?
    SRAM also makes a clutch type derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Happens in various gears

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    check your "B" screw,
    Check your Derailleur hanger is straight (with a tool, not by sight)

both will cause the issue you are having. First guess is the B screw is slightly tweeked,.. doesn't matter if it's Sram or Shimano ....

The B screw adj's how close the rear Derailleur is to the cassette, if it's too far away it'll let the chain hop around.

chain being too long could aid is the issue by not having enough spring tension,.. but that's easy on a 1X, just shift into smallest gear, is the derailleur folding back so far the chain is hitting the upper jockey wheel before the lower?
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-13-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    This definitely sounds like a setup and/or wear issue. I have a 1x10 setup with a SRAM X9 shifter, short cage X9 derailleur, and SRAM 1070 cassette -- very similar to your setup. It's super solid and reliable, no ghost shifting, skipping, or grinding.

Lots of good tips above that I won't repeat. You mentioned that there aren't that many miles on the drivetrain, so the chain and cogs *shouldn't* be worn yet. That said, I've been a bit alarmed at how quickly I stretch out 10spd chains, I barely get three months out of a chain these days (SRAM and Shimano, various models from each). I'm now trying a Wipperman; hoping to get more miles out of this one.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Check your Derailleur hanger is straight (with a tool, not by sight)
    This
    Whats this line for?

Pioneer
    ya check the hanger

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys, I'll have a good look over the weekend.

Cheers

Pioneer
    yep, my SRAM started to work finally after having the hanger arms dialed in and I put a washer in between the derailleur and hanger..

usually cranky
    imo xo to saint would be a lateral move.

veggie
    May 2010
    definitely stick with 10 spd for the roller clutch

Special Lister
    Quote Originally Posted by benno25 View Post
    Thanks guys,

I have previously adjusted the chainline as the front chainring used to line up more with the smaller cogs on the cassette. It is now more centered. I have also checked the chain length and it is as per the SRAM recommendations.

The whole drivetrain is pretty much only a few months old and I haven't been riding much.

I may try backing off the b screw a little to see if this helps.

If that doesn't do the trick, I am tempted to switch to a Shimano Saint M820 deraileur and shifter. I'm assuming I this will still be fine with the SRAM chain and cassette?

Basically, I just want something that I am confident with under hard pedalling. I want it to stay firmly in gear at all times.

Cheers
    Benno
    I have a Saint shifter and RD on my Yeti and love it