mtbr member
    May 2009

8spd bike lookinf for new fron der.

Hi,

Pretty new to the mtb-scene and just finding out what kind of riding I like and what gear I need. As I enjoy to get into a bit of trailriding I've realized that my budget Shimano Acera front derailleur just doesn't cut it. It keeps on moving making me unable to shift to the largest/third front chainring unless I stop and adjust the derailleur.

My bike is a 3x8 speed, and as I've been looking into buying an Shimano XT fron derailleur, I've realized that most of them seem to be built for 9 speed chainrings.

My question: are there any front derailleurs (as good as the XT) suited for my size of chainring? Or are there any other ways of getting around this problem without me having to change my whole setup (which I really can't justify economically)?

Thankful for all answers
    /Mikael

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by arcoiris
    Hi,

Pretty new to the mtb-scene and just finding out what kind of riding I like and what gear I need. As I enjoy to get into a bit of trailriding I've realized that my budget Shimano Acera front derailleur just doesn't cut it. It keeps on moving making me unable to shift to the largest/third front chainring unless I stop and adjust the derailleur.

My bike is a 3x8 speed, and as I've been looking into buying an Shimano XT fron derailleur, I've realized that most of them seem to be built for 9 speed chainrings.

My question: are there any front derailleurs (as good as the XT) suited for my size of chainring? Or are there any other ways of getting around this problem without me having to change my whole setup (which I really can't justify economically)?

Thankful for all answers
    /Mikael
    Sounds more like an adjustment/setup issue than a bad FD.
    Read this: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Any current mtb FD will work if you really want/need to replace it but you still should read the Park Tool setup directions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0