mtbr member
    Jun 2006

80w-90 Good Chain lube?

IS that a decent chain lube?

When I t ake my chain off I sit it in a bucket of degreaser then I clean and dry it, after this it goes into a bucket of 80w-90 sythetic gear lube then I dry and put a dry lube on the chain to repel dust.

Is the 80w-90 a decent lube or should I be looking at some deifferent lubes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod

When I t ake my chain off I sit it in a bucket of degreaser then I clean and dry it, after this it goes into a bucket of 80w-90 sythetic gear lube then I dry and put a dry lube on the chain to repel dust.

Probably really good lube for chains (gear oil is tough stuff), if you can stand the smell (very distinct sulphur) and the mess. If you like what you are using, by all means use it.

There's a million opinions on chain lube.....I like motorcycle chain lube myself. But that's just me....
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah Ive used it for awhile and the smell is atrocious, and so isnt cleaning the bucket. I do it outside on the porch and you can still smell it inside, outside, and well...everywhere

Thanks man

mtbr member
    it'll work fine, bit heavy perhaps. mix it ~4:1 w/ mineral spirits (4 parts spirits:1 oil).
    search for DIY/homebrew chain lube, lotsa threads over the years about it

ya lost me on the part about adding dry lube on top of the wet though... I see the solvent of the dry lube cutting through the wet and causing problems there.?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member

No, it's a bad lube because it will attract dirt like fly paper.

Reviewer/Tester

Any car / automotive oil is going to attract dirt and dust, which will make a fine grinding paste...and will wear out the chain fairly quickly.

Also, if you spray a dry lube over the oiled chain, the chances are the dry lube will cut right through the oil, so you are defeating the purpose of the oil anyway.

What I recommend is to get yourself some proper bicycle chain lube, clean the chain thoroughly, then apply the proper lube.

Two chain lubes that are good: Rock 'N Roll Extreme, a solvent based wax type lube, and Pro Gold , a wet style lube for dry conditions.

If you run a master link in the chain, it makes it easy to remove the chain from the bike for cleaning.

HTH,

R.
    It is inevitable ...

it's....

Sounds like more time spent cleaning chain than actual riding.
    All I do is drip some wax lube on the chain every other ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Sounds like more time spent cleaning chain than actual riding.
    All I do is drip some wax lube on the chain every other ride.
    I'd rather ride than lube also......that's why I use motorcycle chain lube. It's nearly impervious to water, and doesn't break down very quickly. I only have to lube the chain a couple times a year.

But hey, to each their own. Discussing "what chain lube to use" could degenerate into a "discussion". Might as well talk about religion and politics......
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    i picked up a bottle of Tri-flow at my LBS for about $4 and it seems to work really well. smooth shifting action and it appeared to disperse water really well...The last time i rode was kinda a wet day and you could clearly see the water bead up on the chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was jsut asking if 80w-90 was decent I was trying to start a long disscussion about it. This was mostly in regards for the chain on my DH bike and yes I do spend time cleaning the chain, the cassettes, the cranks and the bottom bracket. Not everytime but after every 4-5 days of riding. My bikes were not cheap and I like to keep them running as smooth and as long as possible without breaking.

I never thought about the dirt turning into sludge with the heavy weight oil. Im going to try some different lubes next time I clean the chains up!

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Coming from a motorcycle background, I can say that gear oil is an effective chain lubricant. It's messy, stinky, and will attract dirt - but it will do a good job of lubricating the chain.

I've heard of motorcycle racers heating a chain in a pot of gear oil on a hotplate in order to more thotoughly "soak" it. This wouldn't make sense on a typical street motorcycle chain, since most of those use rubber o-rings which keep the pins lubed longer, at the expense of frictional losses.

Bicycles need so much less lubrication, the savings in lubricant wouldn't be worth the hassle. I'd say go with something drier or waxier.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by sv650touring
    I've heard of motorcycle racers heating a chain in a pot of gear oil on a hotplate in order to more thotoughly "soak" it.
    Yea but that was a looooong time ago, not since the early 80's.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was in no way advocating cooking your chain in gear oil - just contributing a little semi-relevant trivia

All 26.5" all the time!

A home brew of 90 wt gear oil diluted with VM&P Naphtha (1:4 ratio) is my favorite chain lube of all time. The naphtha evaporates after 30 minutes or so and leaves just enough oil to lube the chain without attracting a significant amount of dust.

I've been riding for 20 years and worked in bike shops for 11 of those years, and IMHO my home brew lube works better than any of the 'so called' MTB chain lubes, and yes, I've tried them all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning
    I'd rather ride than lube also......that's why I use motorcycle chain lube. It's nearly impervious to water, and doesn't break down very quickly. I only have to lube the chain a couple times a year.

But hey, to each their own. Discussing "what chain lube to use" could degenerate into a "discussion". Might as well talk about religion and politics......
    I also use motorcycle chain lube, Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. It goes on wet and penetrates the links, then sets up into a waxy film that doesn't attract a lot of dirt if it's allowed to dry (overnight is best). It also lasts for a long time. Pretty economical, too, a big can lasts a long time.