Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005

8 Speed Shifters

I currently run 9spd Shimano XT and want to go to SRAM X.9 8speed setup. What is the best 8speed shifters I can use. It looks like from the SRAM web Site the X.9 comes in 8 and 9 spd Trigger shifter but I can't find them on anyone elses web sites.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrose
    I currently run 9spd Shimano XT and want to go to SRAM X.9 8speed setup. What is the best 8speed shifters I can use. It looks like from the SRAM web Site the X.9 comes in 8 and 9 spd Trigger shifter but I can't find them on anyone elses web sites.
    I've seen the X.7 triggers in 8 speed and the X.9 twisters in 8 speed but never seen the X.9 triggers in 8 speed...

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LD4016
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LD4844
    Long Live Long Rides

Freshly Fujified

$30 for X.7 8 speed triggers

Here's a link to a brand new set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-7-Trigger...QQcmdZViewItem

Like Homebrew said, I don't know that you'll find the X.9 triggers in 8 speed. I'd grab the X.7's in a heartbeat. The price just can't be beat.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005
    I'm just worried that I will be going backwards as I currently have XT shifters. What is the X.7 equivalant to in Shimano

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Here's a link to a brand new set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-7-Trigger...QQcmdZViewItem

Like Homebrew said, I don't know that you'll find the X.9 triggers in 8 speed. I'd grab the X.7's in a heartbeat. The price just can't be beat.

Bob

Freshly Fujified

Hard to compare

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose
    I'm just worried that I will be going backwards as I currently have XT shifters. What is the X.7 equivalant to in Shimano
    You will get different opinions from different people. I happen to have the X.7 shifters on my MTB, and older XT integrated shifter/levers on my street bike. To me personally, I think the X.7 perform as well as the XT, and I also feel the X.7 feel "beefier" or sturdier. Both do an excellent job, but I prefer the SRAM.

Your original post indicated that you wanted to go SRAM. I feel the X.7 triggers are comperable to XT, but they do indeed feel different. If you are set on getting X.9 because you want the best quality for the build, then it would appear that grip-shift is the way to go. If not, stick with the XT. They are a very good product as you know. Again, at $30.00 I just don't think you can go wrong for the X.7 8 speed shifters, but that's just my personal opinion. Go with what you feel most comfortable with.

best Wishes, and let us know what you end up purchasing.

bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005

Thanks for the replies

I think I'm going to go with X.9 front and back with X.7 shifters 8spd. I just bought my bike in Feb 2005 and have worn out the drive train already roughly 3500kklm. I found the XT stuff worked well but needed constant ajustment. I live in Powell River on the BC coast and ride alot of grimmy stuff in the winter. My next problem is I can't seem to find a 11-34 cassette : ) I need my granny as their is soom real steep stuff that I ride regularly

Again thanks for the info

pain don't hurt

Ripping it up!
    Jan 2005

Going 8 speed

I went with a Shimano HG 60 11-34 so I could keep my ratio and then SRAM X7 shifters XT front and SRAM X9 on back and I can't believe how much better things work. The rear seems to stay ajusted way better. The 8 speed stuff seems stronger and I really don't need all those gears just needed the same range.

locked - time out

The Bike Bench

Hi Montrose,
    Last time I check The Bike Bench had 8sd. Sram x9,x7 in grips and maybe triggers.
    I dont know about the triggers, I was looking for the grips and they fixed me up.
    They also claim that if out ther they'll find it.
    Do a yahoo serach, check it out, and call them tomarrow and ask if you dont find what
    your look for on the web-site. I've order 3 times with NO probs.

Good luck.

Jake Pay, SRAM Here.

Didnt Pay attention Sorry, your allready hooked up. Check them out anyway or just keep
    the name around. Enjoy your ride.

Jake Pay, tryin to help Here.
    Last edited by Pay Here; 03-01-2006 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling and add on