Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

8-speed shifter with 7 speed derailleur?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SwissBuster 
#1 ·
Mrs SwissBuster's commuter bike has a failing 7-speed shifter (cheap Shimano, circa late 90s, I think). I have a spare set of 8-speed grip-shift shifters. Will these work if I swap them out? I want to avoid swapping out the whole drive train for one failing shifter. I could adjust the derailleur setting so it only travels through 7 gears... would this work?

#2 ·
Assuming the Grip Shifts are the Shimano compatible ones...it will work. 7 and 8 speed drivetrains have very close (though not exact) spacing and the difference is easily compensated by the floating pulley on the rear derailuer. Mechanically, the best setup is to use 2-8 on the shifter so that your shifter is always ready to shift (1 will be locked out with the derailuer set screw). You can set it up to use 1-7, but you can still hit the 8th indent in the shifter. Your derailuer wont move, but you will have slack in the cable until you shift to 7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.