mtbr member
    Oct 2007

8 speed questions

2 questions.

1) What SRAM cassette would be the equivalant of Shimano XT? (8 or 9 speed).

2) Tons of climbing where I ride so I'm thinking of going from 8 to 9 speed or just getting a larger 8 speed cassette. Currently, the entire drivetrain is all XT, and the cassette is 11-28.Is it worth the $$ to go 9, or try to find an 11-32 8 speeder? Thanks for any thoughts!

mtbr member
    you can find xtr 8spd in 12-32 (m900/950), then use the 11t & lockring from your xt to get 11-32. you can easily find xt in 11-30 though... so it appears that shimano is still making xt cassettes.
    I'm not sure where to find xtr 8spd these days aside from ebay.

I like the shifting better of shimano cassettes, so haven't tried a sram in about 8yrs.

9spd is bit more finicky to keep it setup in adverse condition compared to 8spd...
    Whether it's worth it to you to 'upgrade' to 9spd with new shifters, cassette & chain is up to you.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I say just try a Sram PG-850 11-32 to see if it gives you what you are looking for. Or an XT 11-30 if you really want to stick with XT.
    I have one 9-speed bike and 3 8-speed bikes and I see absolutely no benefit to me for the 9-speed. If you are going 1x8 or 1x9, I can see that a 34t cog would be worthwhile, but if you have a granny gear, a 30t or 32t is pretty damn low gearing.
    I'm about to build another bike and am going to 9-speed only because it is getting harder to find good 8-speed parts so it doesn't make much sense to go 8-speed if starting from scratch, but I have no intention of changing over any of my 8-speeds. In fact, I am stocking up on 8-speed parts just for those bikes.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

8 is enough

I understand the whole single speed movment. Its from all those people who became frustrated with 9spd.

8 is enough. The best modern set up is to run 9sp everything with the exception of the cassette, right shifter and chain- these should be 8spd.

I have never had a problem finding an shimano 8spd xt or xtr cassette on ebay.

I tried Sram 8spd and they are fine too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    All my bikes are 8 speed SRAM drivechains. 9 speed sucks. Just go with a 11-30 or 11-32 cassette 8 speed and you will be fine.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

I should be studying...
    Stay with 8 speed, the extra gear is not worth it.
    Formerly known as iceaxe