mtbr member

Which 8 speed FD for I-drive?

I'm building up a 2000 or so XCR-5000 for my bro. I'm using a collection of 8 speed parts taken from another I-drive of the same vintage, including a square taper BB and Suntour cranks.

The one thing I needed was a new FD. The only 8 speed, bottom pull one I could find was an Acera. The problem is that it doesn't travel far enough outboard to shift to the largest ring. I'm reluctant to put in a BB with a shorter axle as the chainline is pretty good as is, and there's only about 5-6mm clearance between the granny and the frame. Even if I used an axle that brought the cranks in 3mm or so, I still don't think it would be enough to shift to the large ring, and certainly not enough to prevent the chain from rubbing.

Is the Acera simply not compatible with this setup? Anyone know which FD's ARE compatible?

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

8 or 9 doesn't matter.

If you can get a 9 speed that will work. Use that. I'm running a 8 speed setup on all my bikes, and the front mechs (except one) are 9 speed gear changers. It doesn't cause any problems.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz
    I'm building up a 2000 or so XCR-5000 for my bro. I'm using a collection of 8 speed parts taken from another I-drive of the same vintage, including a square taper BB and Suntour cranks.

The one thing I needed was a new FD. The only 8 speed, bottom pull one I could find was an Acera. The problem is that it doesn't travel far enough outboard to shift to the largest ring. I'm reluctant to put in a BB with a shorter axle as the chainline is pretty good as is, and there's only about 5-6mm clearance between the granny and the frame. Even if I used an axle that brought the cranks in 3mm or so, I still don't think it would be enough to shift to the large ring, and certainly not enough to prevent the chain from rubbing.

Is the Acera simply not compatible with this setup? Anyone know which FD's ARE compatible?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    If you can get a 9 speed that will work. Use that. I'm running a 8 speed setup on all my bikes, and the front mechs (except one) are 9 speed gear changers. It doesn't cause any problems.

JmZ
    Thanks - I may do that and live with the inevitable rubbing.